Problem With My GE Spectra Stove

Old 11-19-10, 05:46 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem With My GE Spectra Stove

I just replaced the bake igniter for the second time but this time it won't work. The igniter has been bench tested so it does glow.
I put it in the same way i did when i replaced it the first time.
The broiler igniter work and the burners work. I have been without a stove for a log time and can not afford a service call. Any suggestions are appreciated. I live in the So. Calif area in the city of Inglewood. If any one in my area could possibly help me i would greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-10, 06:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello eazy2me. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Suggestion:
Change the gas valve....

Very possible the gas control valve the HSI (Hot Surface Igniter) is wired to is defective. If the igniter (HSI) bench tests okay and works, then very likely the valve is defective.

One primary reason why the gas valve should be replaced when the HSI gets replaced. Which is often done by appliance service reps or agents.

Instructions on how to replace control valve in sticky note. Link below:

Additional Advice and Information Here:
Read the Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Informational Sticky Note, in this forums topic, for more detailed information.

Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information, Fault Codes & Mfg's Web Site Links Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 12-11-10, 12:10 AM
E
well i am at my wits end. After i bought a igniter and gas control valve (safeth valve) the oven igniter still don't glow and the iginter has been benched tested because i thought the igniter was faulty. could it be the wire that connects to the igniter. my wife is bugging me to death. any other help you could give me will be greatfully appreciated.

Old 12-12-10, 03:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The thermostat should supply 120 VAC to the safety valve and then safety valve is then in series with the hot surface ignitor.

So check to see if you have 120 VAC to the safety valve when the thermostat is calling for heat. If you don't check for a broken wire between the thermostat and safety valve.

Rats love to make a home in a nice warm range that good 'n greasy, and they are great at gnawing wires...

Old 12-12-10, 06:27 PM
E
I appreciate the advice. I live in the city. I don't get rats. A mouse every now and then buts thats it. I will be having someone come by and check it out. It will only cost me $75 for the visit. Hopefully its something minor.

Old 12-15-10, 07:04 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Glowing does not guarantee the igniter is working, one must take an amp read. In the event you are unable to take an amp read, but are able to take a voltage read, the following numbers will apply to both.

Norton style igniter: Amps..3.2-3.6 Volts...3.03-3.3
Carborundum styleround) Amps..2.5-3.0 Volts..3.3-4.0
Numbers below these indicate a weak igniter. Look on the side of the gas valve and you will see the values on the black and yellow label(I think they are black and yellow) and you will see which style igniter MUST be used.

Remember these reads must be taken with the thermostat calling for heat.

To take voltage reads, install meter leads across the two terminals on the gas valve.
Actually you can bench test the igniter if you have an amp meter and test cord.

OOOPS I just realized this thread is 5 days old. Oh well

Old 12-16-10, 10:30 AM
Sounds like a thermostat that's not switching on the AC voltage to the ignitor or bad wiring between the thermostat and ignitor at this point.

Old 12-16-10, 03:03 PM
M
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post
Sounds like a thermostat that's not switching on the AC voltage to the ignitor or bad wiring between the thermostat and ignitor at this point.
Seems like the wiring should be ok, the circuit is closed, since the igniter is glowing. Also we don't know the amp or volt reads.

Old 12-16-10, 07:36 PM
It's not clear to me that the ignitor is glowing and thus has at least some power to it.

I see in the first post that it's been "bench tested" but it "wont work"

My interpretation and supposition is that it wasn't heating up at all, and hence my suggestion that the thermostat or the wiring from the thermostat might be bad.

But perhaps I am misinterpreting the posted comments ---- all too easy to do.

Old 12-17-10, 04:56 PM
M
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post
It's not clear to me that the ignitor is glowing and thus has at least some power to it.

I see in the first post that it's been "bench tested" but it "wont work"

My interpretation and supposition is that it wasn't heating up at all, and hence my suggestion that the thermostat or the wiring from the thermostat might be bad.

But perhaps I am misinterpreting the posted comments ---- all too easy to do.
Your right, it didn't actually say glowing. You got me...............................................again

Old 12-17-10, 07:08 PM
No problem mbk3 --- I find myself misreading things more often than I'd like.

It's easy to miss things that may be described vaguely, and it's easy to miss something when there are multiple posts.

Is that enough excuses do you think?