Whats making that burner 'roar' sound (Kenmore HE4 dryer-propane)

Old 11-20-10, 07:49 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Whats making that burner 'roar' sound (Kenmore HE4 dryer-propane)

Now that our Kenmore dryer is functioning nicely, Ive been curious why it sometimes makes a fire 'roar' sound, and sometimes its totally quiet.
I took the front panel off, and the fire isnt going out etc.. and viewing the 'tail' of the flame (you cant see the burner face from the front panel) it looks fairly steady.
Sometimes you can hear the flame roaring (like when you light a tiger torch), and sometimes its completely quiet.
Im suspecting the flame is pulling away from the face of the burner ??

This dryer came oem as natural gas, and I converted it to propane with the oem kit. There was nothing to adjust, the parts just screw in. My propane line is fairly small (3/8 ?) and is about 40ft long. Perhaps my pressure/flow at the dryer is slightly low ??

Thx for tips..

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-10, 06:48 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello DaveC72 and Welcome into the Gas Appliances topic.

If the burner makes this high pitch sound upon initial firing up, it may be caused do to a slight build up of propane pressure in the main supply line. Caused by the regulator on the propane tanks main supply gas line.

You'll need to contact the propane gas supply company you purchase the propane from and have them check their regulator to insure the pressure isn't building up when there is no demand for gas. A situation that sometimes occurs when regulators become older.

If not building pressure exists from the suppliers regulator, another possible cause is the appliances regulator allowing a slight buildup of pressure while appliance not in use. Often not a condition that needs any correction(s). Unless the appliances regulator leaks (passes) gas in the none usage mode.

If that where the case, often the gas odor would be notices in and around the dryer. A condition that needs immediate attention. Potential hazardous fire or explosion condition. Which may still occur if the appliance regulator is the cause. Building pressure in either situation will eventually cause an appliances regulator to become damaged and creating a hazardous condition.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Read the existing questions on the subject of dryers. Doing so will more quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve dryer problems.

Read Gas Dryer Sticky Note In The Forum Topic For Additional Advice: >Dryer Information + *Fuel Conversion*< >Info Contained Here< - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Read the existing questions on the subject of dryers. Doing so will more quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve dryer problems.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always advisable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, replacement and/or repairs.

Old 11-21-10, 06:10 PM
D
I should find some way to post the sound..
Its not upon startup, just random during running..
Closest thing I can think of is if you had a handheld propane torch in your hand.. running smoothly, then move your arm around.
The flame will sort of start to come off of the burner and make a different sound (roar is perhaps too strong a term..).

Some good advice in those threads though !

Old 11-22-10, 04:19 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello DaveC72:

What you might try is slightly closing the primary air intake shutter on the back end of the burner tube. That shutter can be slightly closed more then it presently is without any negative side effects.

Slightly closing the air intake shutter will soften up the flame slightly. Like a blow torch, to much air will be causing the noise. Slightly less air reduces the noise. Not enough air will cause the burner flame to cause some yellow in the flame. Not a good idea to have it that way. Means the shutter is closed to much. You do not want that condition. Try it and post back the results.

Old 12-09-10, 09:23 PM
D
Finally got around to checking this..

I cant seem to find any adjustment on the air shutter. I see the air holes in the tube just out from the nozzle, but they appear to be fixed.. just cut into the tube.

I could possibly wrap mutliple wraps of stainless forming wire around the tube where the shutter would be.

Old 12-10-10, 07:09 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Dave

The air shutter will be on the burner tube nearest the end that is on the gas control valve. If there is any at all. Might not be any air adjustment of any type. Known as a fixed air to fuel ratio.

In that case, the condition originally described may not be caused by a "LEAN" air to fuel ratio. Might be caused by the appliances regulators failure to control and/or management of the fuel flow. If the noise level isn't to load and isn't constant, might be okay and or a normal condition most do not even hear while others due.

I cannot be certain without actually being on site and hearing the noise first hand but have encountered the condition many times while I was working in the industry daily. In the field, as we called it working in homes and businesses.

I DO NOT recommend nor suggest using anything to close or even slightly cover up any air holes anywhere nor for any reason(s). Not a good idea if one does not know exactly what one is doing and/or what the consequences of the actions will cause. Might unknowingly and unintentionally be causing a hazardous or serious condition.

Without my being on site, this is all the diagnostics I can provide, advice and suggestions I can offer. Good Luck.

Old 12-11-10, 06:18 AM
D
Thanks, Sharp.. I appreciate it.
I had thought perhaps my line is too small for the demand (40ft of 3/8 copper), but it lights off with that noise most of the time.. so thats out.
Visually, the flame doesnt change much from noise to no-noise condition.
I dont think Ive ever heard it try multiple starts (listening to the heat coil relay).
Maybe its just oem tweaked to run as lean as it can.

Do makers like Whirlpool have things like the auto industry 'technical service bulletins' ?
Maybe theres an upgrade nozzle routine or something..

On the other hand.. its not an offensive noise.. and it is handy to determine that you still have propane left in the tank.. lol

Cheers.

Old 12-11-10, 10:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Am guessing here but thwe dryer heats up and than flame goes , when it cools a bit the flame comes on and than will cause noise. Sort of like a small jet engine sound.

Old 12-11-10, 07:28 PM
D
Logical guess, pugsi, but no.. the flame stays on. Ive watched it with the toe panel off.

Old 12-12-10, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Excess primary air, an under fired burner or a burner that needs to be cleaned are all things that can cause the condition described. Since there is no primary air shutter, an underfired burner or dirty burner are likely causes.

Flashback, where the flame burners at the burner orifice rather than in the correct location on the burner, might be a cause of the problem.