Low heat - long drying times on gas dryer

Old 12-19-00, 09:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Hi,

I just inherited an old gas dryer in the house I purchased, and it _does_ dry clothes.... eventually. It takes about 2 or 3 times longer to dry a medium load of clothes than any dryer in my experience. I haven't opened it up to look at the burner, but the exterior gets hot to the touch during operation, so I assumed it's working.

Is there anything I should look at for maintenance or cleaning? (Air intakes, filters, exhaust, etc.) Having never taken apart a dryer, I thought I'd ask for tips.

It also squeaks terribly, but earlier postings answered that question. Unfortunately, I don't know how long it's been squeaking, and whether the drum support brackets have been ruined already. If those are shot, I think I'll just buy a new dryer.

Thanks.

Old 12-19-00, 12:30 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Restricted Vent

Hi:c_fest

The most common problem that causes the condition you discribed is a restricted exhaust vent.

You'll need to get behind the dryer, disconnect the exhaust and clear both the exhaust tube and the exit tube coming out of the dryer. Also check the flapper on the vent hood that exits outside the house. The flapper should flap freely.

Another place to check if your inclinded to removing the front dryer panel, is the fan housing and the fan squirrel cage. May as well remove all the dust found inside the lower part of the dryer while your in there anyway. Good idea to help reduce the chances of a future fire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: