Dryer Venting Problem

Old 12-18-10, 12:01 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer Venting Problem

Hi, I have a dryer venting problem. The original owner of the house failed to vent to the outside. There has been a Sunroom addition that is enclosed - solid windows, and several patio doors. Its 550 sq.ft."L" shaped, floor is a raised 2x4 framing overlaid with 5/8" subfloor, under all that is a concrete foundation and 4" thick bed that abut to the internal foundation. Not heated.

This time of year the moisture exhaust really condenses where its like a cold sauna and leaving the doors open is not a real option.

Is there anyway the moisture can be trapped / captured at the source in the laundry room. ??

Glenn

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-10, 03:55 PM
B
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
"Is there anyway the moisture can be trapped / captured at the source in the laundry room. ?? "

Yes, but I haven't actually heard of one in use on this side of the Atlantic. If they are available over here, they make a heat pump dryer where the moisture would be drained off just like a dehumidifier. But that's the expensive solution. Any possibility of extending the current vent to the outside?

Bud

Old 12-18-10, 09:36 PM
W
HI, no, there's no way of extending it easily. I have 2 sets of basement stairs, one from the kitchen interior and another cement set in the sunroom (basically the original foundation on one side)- the vent comes out right at the top of them (2nd step down). It would have to cross the step, then into another wall and under the cement floor in the sunroom, through the fill (whatever it is) and through the outside cement wall. Its real yucky.

I've looked at going high thru the outside wall and installing an exhaust fan. Maybe. But there's limited space to the ceiling. The room is L shaped - 10 X 40 ft plus the base of the L. The wall itself has 2 - 6ft patio doors, 2 - 4 x 8 ft horizontal windows and a couple 3 ft wide windows. All double pane. The wall is really used up. And no electrical there.

A dehumidifier in the utility room is beginning to sound ok.

Anymore thoughts are appreciated at this point.

Glenn

Old 12-19-10, 01:28 AM
B
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
Another appliance option would be one of the new front loading washers. From what I have read, they spin so fast that very little water is left for the drying cycle. That approach would help the moisture problem and reduce your drying time and costs.

They do make a free standing "Centrifugal Spin-Dryer" to accomplish the same as above, but the reviews are less than ideal.

Bud

Old 12-19-10, 11:22 AM
W
My appliances are fairly new 4 & 2 yrs, so the cost factor is a concern. I'm now thinking that I'll have one of the tall narrow windows removed and go with a near the ceiling exhaust fan. I checked the wiring again and should be able to join into a curcuit plug and run it overhead with the proper conduit and switch. Will have to put up with it for a while, need a sunny day or 2.

thanks again.

Old 12-19-10, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
Is this a gas or electric dryer?

If its gas you a running the risk of CO2 poisoning. Like being in a garage with a running car.

You said you can pipe to an outside wall? If you can do that it would be ideal. You mention exhaust fan. Im not understanding what you will need it for.

Can you pipe down to basement then out of the building?

Make sure you use ridgid metal duct and not that accordian style fake metal looking vent.

Mike NJ

Old 12-19-10, 01:00 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
"If its gas you a running the risk of CO2 poisoning. Like being in a garage with a running car."

Not to be picky, but CO2 is carbon dioxide. CO (carbon monoxide) is what you meant.

Warburg, Since you have windows nearby, can't you hammer drill thru the wall and feed the exhaust thru the hole. If I understand correctly, you are thinking of exhausting the dryer into the room and then use an exhaust fan to pull the moisture laden air from the room. I think that you will be less than pleased with the result.

Old 12-20-10, 07:38 PM
W
Lawrosa, Goldstar - it is an electric dryer, the sun room is an addition to the main house. It was originally open or an after thought of the original owner to enclose it. The current exhaust comes out into the external stairway in the sun room.- house is "T" shaped with sun room wrapped around the stem of the T. The external wall would be from the tip of the outside right of the T past the base. 10' across and lots of fill & cement. Drilling thru is not an option.

My last thought was to vent / exhaust the steam / air out thru the sun room exterior wall. Wish I could insert a graphic or something.

Just went thru FAQ and found out how, i'll put together a graphic.

Last edited by warburg; 12-20-10 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-20-10, 08:41 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just went thru FAQ and found out how, i'll put together a graphic.
The FAQ is not correct. http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 12-21-10, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
Not to be picky, but CO2 is carbon dioxide. CO (carbon monoxide) is what you meant.
Its a bad habit.............................................

Old 12-22-10, 03:47 PM
W
Hi again, Ok, got the method, try it again.

thanks guys