Westing house Gas Dryer - No Heat

Old 12-20-00, 10:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have a 2 year old Westinghouse gas dryer that doesn't heat the clothes. Other than that it runs great. From reading past postings on similar problems, I've already confirmed that the exhaust line is blocked, the gas valve is open. I've already opened it from the top, rear and front. the end of the gas manifold has a black heating coil that I suppose would heat up to the point where it would ignite the gas, if this is the case then I should be smelling un-burned natural gas but I'm not. Please give me some pointers. I really don't want to fork out 100 bills right before christmas.

Thank you.

Old 12-21-00, 02:28 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi:miguelangelr

You stated that the exhaust vent is blocked?
If so, clear it. If you meant to type unblocked, good you checked it anyway.

If the glow coil fails to glow, it's an item you can replace. If it solves the problem, great.

If the coil isn't glowing, you will NOT be smelling any gas. None should be coming out of the burner until the coil glows and opens the second solenoid valve.

If the coil fails to glow after you've replaced it with the new one, then it may be a defective solenoid. Best practice would be to remove the whole burner assembly, take it to the local appliance retail parts store and have the whole assembly tested. Replace any defective part.

Since you have already checked the archives, then you're aware of the steps needed to remove and replace the burner assembly. If not, check the archives for my posting called "Glow Coils and Gas Valves" for hints and tips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: