drilling (cooking stove) orifice to get more heat

Old 12-29-10, 07:52 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb drilling (cooking stove) orifice to get more heat

I got a propane stove and I'm not getting good heat from the burners.
A neighbor mentioned he replaced the orifices on his new Jennair to compensate for the altitude (7500ft). I'm looking to try this myself and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions?

I called Appliance parts and they don't show any.
The it's an Amana arg7800e MFG p1143346ne

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 12-30-10 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Duplicate Posts
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-10, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
No No No!!!! You mention drilling in your title, and changing the orfice in the post. Dont leap before you jump.

What is the model of your stove? I am sure they sell a kit for high altitude.

Mike NJ

Old 12-30-10, 06:01 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: SportTruck

Your question comes up occasionally. As does your possible solution. Not always a good idea and/or the proper and safe method when it comes to indoor heating appliances.

Drilling out orifices to increase flame size on any heating appliance is a dangerous solution attempt to increase heat output. Heating appliances are primarily used indoors. Any increase in orifice size increases the btu's. Often producing soots; odors and worse yet carbon monoxides.

Most likely the heating appliance is undersized for the area to be heated. Additionally, the heater may already be pre-set to it's maximum Btu rating.

Suggestion:
Contact the manufacturer and inquire about an increase in heat output. Likely not to be suggested nor safely possible. Very likely you'll need to add an additional heater or obtain a larger btu heater to be safe.

Question:
What exactly is your definition of "Good Heat?"

All heat is good when you're cold. But attempting to extract more heat from any heating appliance by enlarging an orifice more often then not obtains undesirable and negative results.

Old 12-30-10, 07:14 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is not a heating appliance, it's the stove top. All you points are well taken, however the rated BTU's are for sea level not at 7000+ft.
High end units have high altitude kits- my Amana doesn't. I'm not going crazy with drilling it out.

My space ray IR garage heater is working fine- and it has about 4 different orifices to change BTU ratings- I'm using one of the smallest ones.