Frigidaire range broken circuit board frame/housing?

Old 01-05-11, 07:51 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire range broken circuit board frame/housing?

Model fgf337awj

Wife turned off the oven tues night and I saw it happen, when she pushed the button the whole control panel just cracked and caved in.

I opened up the backguard and saw that the plastic frame that holds the boards and buttons had cracked in about the same spot top and bottom horizontal rail.

the boards themselves are alright, not bent or cracked and if you hold the thing together (being mindful of electric current) the buttons and all the functions still work.

I can't seem to find any websites selling this housing/frame thing. Just the whole assembly boards and everything for $70-$100
part # AP3959387
Part Details - FRIGIDAIRE CLOCK/TIMER, part number: AP3959387

Anyone know a way to buy just the housing? I have a sinking feeling the answer is no, I mean I know I can't order a cruise control module housing, or a pcm housing or an abs controller housing for my truck but maybe this is different. paying $100 for a broken 20c piece of plastic really bites.

I always see a plastic welding kit in harbor freight ads for like $20, would something like that be able to fix this up?
Plastic Welding Kit 80 Watt Iron

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-11, 06:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had to replace the failed circuit board on a GE range once.

Bite the bullet and replace the part is my suggestion. You will still be saving big bucks compared to replacing the range or having a service agency replace the part.

Of course, you can horse around with it if you wish. Most women are going to be unhappy if the operation of their range is compromised, is my experience.

But it's up to you.

Old 01-06-11, 04:23 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: erickm

Suggestion:

Splint the broken part. Like someone would do for a broken or fractured bone. Not something we could do as service techs but something you could or should be able to do as a DIY temporary solution. An improvised fix but should work.

Depending upon the exact location of the crack and the area around that location, should be possible to use a non conductive material as a splint across the broken area.

Old 01-08-11, 10:45 PM
No harm in trying that Sharp advice. I'd be curious how that works for you if you give it a try.

If it were me I'd see if a piece of sheet metal cut to a suitable size might work as a splint. If so I'd use a couple of short sheet metal screws to go through the sheet metal and into the metal behind it to hold it in place, if that might work.

I'm guessing that replacing the part is what it will take to make a satisfactory repair, but I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

Old 01-09-11, 01:46 PM
E
I just today started to get ready to work on this, I hadn't completely taken it out of the backguard or even taken the backguard completely off, I just peeked in there before today.

Now i have it out and the housing is broken in seriously 12 places, including every screw-ear broken off.

Looks like I'm buying a new one. I think I'll call around tomorrow to see if anyone in town has it for a decent price. Appliancepartspros.com has it for $87 and a few other websites are a few $ higher. Anyone have any reccomendations for other websites that might be cheap?

Old 01-09-11, 03:51 PM
Ahh well. You gave it a try.

Out of curiosity, does it look like damage that may have been done by pushing on the control too hard? I'm wondering if the design was robust enough to deal with powerful fingers.

The one I replaced had failed electrically, although I suppose that could have been caused by poking too hard.

I remember that cost $175 or so, so $87 sounds like a deal!

Old 01-09-11, 04:47 PM
E
I really don't know, I saw the push that broke it (wife did it) and it wasn't hard at all that I could see. Lots of heat up in that area from the oven, maybe just years of hot-cold cycling weakened it real good and maybe the previous owners (came with the house, moved in a year ago) were heavy BUTAN-MASH! people.

Old 01-09-11, 05:04 PM
Heh, heh! Lucky you it was your wife that broke it!

I guess it was just one of those things that seem to happen with GE equipment these days.

I took a tour of a historic power plant yesterday, built in 1906. The electrical stuff was all General electric, most of it probably original when the plant was built.

Of course, there WERE a couple of fatalities along the way when electrical stuff blew up over the decades....

Thanks for your comments and good luck with the repair.

Old 01-09-11, 11:23 PM
Button Mashers! I like that....