gas stove

Old 12-23-00, 07:01 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm getting a new stove that is set up for natural gas.
How do I change it for propane?

Old 12-23-00, 07:40 AM
camachinist
Visiting Guest
I'm currently installing a new gas cooktop and face a similar situation....also, my new wife's gas dryer which we're going to use is set up for natural gas...

The cooktop (KitchenAid) came with the burner orifices to convert it to LPG as well as instructions for adjusting the appliance pressure regulator.

The dryer (Sears Kenmore) had a conversion kit listed in the parts manual so I found it on their web site and ordered it...took about 5 days to receive and cost 15.00 with shipping...

Most likely your appliance manufacturer has a kit available....get your model number and call a local dealer or the manufacturers parts division...we have a place locally which only sells appliance parts for many manufacturers..

Good luck!

PS....Follow the directions carefully...you're modifying a potentially deadly device...we just want to make sure all you're cooking is food..*G*

Pat

Old 12-23-00, 05:13 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Post Which New?

Hi: snk

When you say new, which new do you mean?
New as in brand new or new to you?
This is important to know. However, some ideas on what to know about converting are below.

If the appliance is brand new <your the first owner> then have the dealer or delivery people set it up for propane upon installation.

Should you mean new to you <but previously owned by someone else> then the conversion has to be done completely and correctly. Several things to consider, which are all based on the stoves age.

In this case of new to you but not brand new, I suggest you purchase a conversion kit. The kit will have the orifices needed for all the burners and may also include a regulator.

TIP: Be sure to have the needed information prior to going to the appliance store for the kit.

A regulator is required and may be needed or the old one removed and replaced with the new one. The kit should have all the required parts and complete, detailed step by step instructions, inclosed.

TIP: Follow the instructions precisely and completely!

Newer stoves <age wise newer> have what is commonly referred to as convertible regulators. Which means the cap on the regulator only needs to be inverted <turned upside down> and reinstalled.

Newer stoves have oven thermostats that have a tiny lever or set screw near the body of the t-stat that only needs to be turned to the LP position. This lever or set screw is visable once the temperature knob is removed. It will automatically adjust the pilot flame but NOT the burner flame.

Once the new orifices are installed, they ALL must be adjusted and done so correctly! The oven burner will also needed to be adjusted and done so precisely too.

As you can or should be able to gather from all this is, a conversion from either fuel type needs to be done correctly. Failure to install parts properly or adjust burners correctly may have adverse effects or be dangerous.

Should you not want to attempt this conversion, not to worry. Many people choose not to. It's often a good idea to have a professional do it for you for your own peace of mind and personal safety.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: