Thermado Simmer burner gas flowing intermittently

Old 01-31-11, 09:14 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermado Simmer burner gas flowing intermittently

I have a Thermador duel fuel 6 burner range & stove (PRDS366US).
One of the Star Simmer burners is working only intermittently (while the other one works perfectly).

Specifically, more often than not, one of the simmer burners sparks but there is no click of the valve solenoid and no hiss of gas. Sometimes, it works just fine. Sometimes when on the XLO mode, it starts working fine and then after a few cycles it fails to cycle on (i.e., it just sparks continually without the solenoid clicking on or the gas flowing).

From surfing the net, it seems like the potential causes are (1) bad potentiometer (2) bad solenoid (3) bad simmer control unit.

Since my problem is intermittent, I'm not sure how to diagnose the specific problem.

My thinking though is that it may be the solenoid based on the following logic. First, since even when it is not working, I can put it on XLO and I get the normal range of delays before it starts sparking (based on the knob setting). This would seemingly indicate that the delay circuit is working but just the valve is not opening. Presumably this means that the potentiometer is working and probably also the control unit. Because if it weren't working presumably the on/off delay wouldn't work either. Also, since one of the simmer burners is working properly and since the simmer control unit controls both, then presumably the simmer control unit is working too.

So, I am thinking the problem is with the solenoid. Is this logic right? If not what else is likely to be wrong and how can I best troubleshoot it?

Now is it possible for a solenoid to only work intermittently or is it more likely a loose wire?

Anyway, I would appreciate some help on how to proceed before I go off spending $$$$ on parts that I may or may not need.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-11, 09:43 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well no replies so let me reply to myself :P
I did a test by switching the wires to the solenoid valve which resulted in the problem switching to the other knob. This seems to conclusively prove that the problem is just with the solenoid valve and that the potentiometer and other parts of the simmer control unit are working fine.

I therefore ordered a replacement solenoid valve which should arrive tomorrow.