Adjusting Air Shutter for Oven gas valve on Hot Start Ignition Oven

Old 02-14-11, 07:33 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adjusting Air Shutter for Oven gas valve on Hot Start Ignition Oven

Recently using this forum I was educated that I have a hot start ignition oven/range. I have readjusted the gas/air shutters for the range gas valves so that they come on as fast as possible, while still (mostly) showing blue flame tips (a yellow one pops up every few seconds or so, but 95% of the time the flames are blue).

I got to thinking about it and the faster the flame ignites on the range burners, then that means the less natural gas that is dispersed into the air of the kitchen/house.

So, onto the hot start ignition flame (using a hot start flat bar ignitor) for the oven itself. It too has an air shutter on it like the range valves do. When I went to work on this oven a few weeks ago I noticed (before I knew what the air shutters were) that the air shutter for the oven gas valve is open all the way.

We are smelling a natural gas smell in various parts of the house after using the oven and as everything else is connected very well and has been recently thoroughly cleaned up, I can only surmise that this "extra gas" is being released from the air shutter in the oven's gas valve. Sound reasonable?

FYI - I have purchased a gas leak detector and used it last night while everything was OFF on the oven/range and it detected no leaks everywhere I put it. I ran it over the gas line connection points slowly too. Took my time.

The question I have is, do you adjust the oven gas valve based on the same principles as the range burner valves?

IE: "If the flame is yellow, it's not receiving enough air. To allow more air in, open the plate slightly. If the flame is high or makes a roaring noise, it's getting too much air and you should close the plate slightly. - From howstuffworks.com"

Now, how does this apply when looking at the very "spread apart" flame coming from the oven's long flash tube/burner?

Would a picture of the spread flame help?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-11, 04:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: searcherrr

If the burner flames for the oven do not reach past the ends of the flame spreader above them, they are the correct size. The flames actually should not extend beyond one inch before the side ends of the plate (Flame Spreader) above the burner tube.

Nor should the flames be lifting off the burners tube nor making any type of blowing or roaring sounds nor be yellow in color. In most cases the air shutter should be fully opened as you initially found it. Slightly closing that air shutter will soften up the flames so they burn softer and closer to the burner but should never cause the flames to burn yellow or yellow tipped.

Best to leave shutter fully opened unless you know exactly what you're doing. An occasional smell that may seem to be gas may not actually be gas nor a result of the ovens burner adjustment. If there is any doubts, suggestion and recommendation would be to have a qualified service tech service the entire appliance to ensure proper operation.

YES. A picture or two, if at all possible, of the burner flames in operation for that situation described and/or condition described would be helpful. And a slight acceptance of the condition as being normal for a gas fuel burning appliance also.

Old 02-20-11, 11:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In my view, adjusting primary air shutters is not a suitable DIY task. Adjusting it incorrectly can produce a lot of carbon monoxide, and unlike a furnace carbon monoxide produced by a range oven goes right into the dwelling space.

And adjusting primary air shutters is not something that can really be done reliably by remote control coaching.

I hear you saying that you are noticing a gas odor while the range burner is operating. Carbon monoxide is odorless, but when a bunson burner like your range oven is operating improperly it produces a variety of intermediate products of combustion which include aldehydes and carbon monoxide. Aldehydes (a type of alcoghol) have a peculiar and easily detected odor and may be what you are noticing. Where there are aldehydes there is also carbon monoxide.

You might want to look for any signs of sooting around the oven burner or oven. Where there is soot there is carbon monoxide being produced as well ----quite a lot of it very likely. Any slight trace of soot should ring alarm bells.

I would recommend that you have a GOOD repairman inspect your range oven for safe operation. Such a repairman will have and use a carbon monoxide detector to check for carbon monoxide in the combustion products of the range oven when he starts and when he is done.

Your propane supplier may have a repair service to help you with that, and ought to be a competent person.

And NO, buying or depending on a home CO detector is not a substitute for having your equipment inspected by a competent person.

You could be in danger based on your description of the problem.