Oven door seal/gasket replacement. Me or repairman ??

Old 02-15-11, 03:12 PM
Y
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Oven door seal/gasket replacement. Me or repairman ??

This is a 1993 or so Jenn-Air wall oven, model W2720B. The door seal/gasket is shot. I bought a new one and want to know if I can do this or if I need to call in a repairman. (I am a worthless fix-it guy).

The new gasket (Y702338) has a steel rod around three sides and obviously fits into the slit around the oven door. No instructions came with gasket. I tried pulling on the existing gasket and it does not move. It looks like the door must come apart to do the replacement. Right ??

I have an exploded diagram of the door and there appears to be a LOT of pieces that go together, 6 or more. I could easily bungle this.

Should I call for help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-11, 10:32 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yadda squared:

You OR a repairman?
In your case the best solution falls somewhere in between you and the repairman.

What I'd probably do is return the gasket you bought from the appliance parts store for a refund. While you're there, ask which of the 5 major American appliance manufacturers makes Jenn-Air, and which of the appliance repair shops in town do repairs to new Jenn-Air appliances while they're still under warranty.

Then, go and buy that same gasket for a little higher price at the Jenn-Air "factory authorized service depot" in your area. (If you Google "Jenn-Air" you should be able to find out who makes them (Maytag, I think) and Maytag's web site should have a 1-800 customer service phone number where you can find out who the factory authorized Maytag service depot in your area is.) Typically, it will be one of the appliance repair shops in your area. That'll be who repairs Maytag and Jenn-Air appliances while they're still under warranty, and they'll also sell Maytag and Jenn-Air parts to the general public. (I'm pretty sure Jenn-Air is made by Maytag, but I'm not certain.)

The advantage in doing it that way is that (unless they're super busy right when you're phoning to ask a question) the people working at the factory authorized repair depot will typically toss in free tech support. That is, they'll give you all the free advice you need on how to replace the parts they sell you. That way, you pay more for the part, but you get more in the way of free expert advice on how to install it. Now obviously that's not gonna be anyone's official policy cuz there's some people out there with six thumbs on each hand and if they were any dumber, they'd need to be watered. Obviously, the factory authorized service depot doesn't want to have to deal with such customers if they feel they'd be better off without their business. But, if you're reasonable with them, and you show appreciation for them giving you their time, they'll generally be willing to give you all the advice you need if you buy your parts from them.

That's cuz it don't cost them anything to take a little time to explain what you need to do, and it helps expand their customer base and build their profits from counter sales. If you're happy with the experience, you'll come back for more appliance parts when something else goes wrong with your wall oven. If not, then you'll at least know who to phone to get expert service on your wall oven at no higher cost than non-expert service from the other appliance repair shops in your area.

Appliance parts stores can't offer installation advice because their sales staff aren't appliance repair technicians and don't have the specific knowledge of Jenn-Air appliances needed to give that kind of advice. If the guy at the appliance parts store knows how the part goes in, he'll tell you, but his knowledge in that respect is going to be limited.

But, maybe before you do anything, take a look on your oven door hinges for some clips or hooks. Typically, you can remove the door from a normal range relatively easily by opening the door wide open, engaging the clips or hooks on the door hinges so that they hold the hinge springs in the outstretched position, and then just pulling the door straight out of the range. If you don't see any clips or hooks on the door hinges, try opening the door about 6 to 8 inches, and pulling the door straight off the hinges (which will remain in the range). Or, ultimately, phone up the nice man at the Maytag and Jenn-Air factory authorized service depot and ask him how to remove the door from your wall oven. It shouldn't be difficult.

Once you learn how to remove your oven's door, then you have much greater flexibility in solving the door gasket problem. If you're having difficulty replacing the gasket, you can take the door down to the repair depot and ask them what you're doing wrong. Or, you can take the oven door down to the factory authorized service depot and getting them to replace the gasket on your oven door for you. That way, they won't charge you for a service call cuz they didn't have to spend time driving out to your house and back. They'll probably just charge for their time, so if it takes them 15 minutes, they'll charge you 1/4 of what their normal hourly rate is.

My apartment block was built in 1960, and even those 50 year old GE ranges had oven doors that were easily removable. I'd be very surprised if in 1993 Jenn-Air was making ovens that didn't have easily removable doors.

So, I'd say your approach should be to first find out who the factory authorized Jenn Air service depot in your area is, and contact them to find out how to remove the oven door on your wall oven. Then, take your door down to the service depot and buy the gasket to ensure you're getting the correct one. Your original gasket may not be available any more and you may have to use a "recommended alternative" which may require special installation instructions.

By purchasing your parts from the factory authorized service depot, you still save MOST of the cost by doing the work yourself, but you get free advice from an expert tossed as part of the deal. And, to me, that sounds like the kind of situation that would better suit your needs. Go to the appliance parts store once you already know how to install the parts you buy.

PS: An oven door that consists of 6 pieces is a very simple oven door. The doors on my newer Frigidaire 24" self cleaning ranges have more like two dozen individual parts.

Last edited by Nestor; 02-16-11 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-16-11, 01:02 PM
Y
Thank you Nestor. Lot of good tips there. I'll let you know the final disposition.

Old 02-20-11, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
<<(I am a worthless fix-it guy).

Should I call for help?>>

Yep.

On the other hand, this is not a technical task that requires real expertise. If you have a friend, neighbor or relative who is a good DIYer or tradesman of some kind, perhaps they will do the job for you.

Old 02-23-11, 06:48 AM
Y
Had a JennAir authorized repair guy here yesterday. Labor was $79 and it took him and a helper a half-hour to do the job.

Watched over his shoulder to see how it was done........and I still will not attempt to do this repair.

Old 02-27-11, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You got a very good price to get that done!