Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Gas< Kitchen Appliances, Dryers and BBQ's
Reload this Page >

HELP Whirlpool Gas Clothes Dryer not heating and the time is not shutting off.

Old 03-03-11, 04:33 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a simple 1996 Gas clothes dryer from Whirlpool. I have taken it apart in the past due to a flash fire of the lent that built up under the machine. I know that there not much them them.

My problem is as follows. I turn the knob to any setting, push start and ......................... it comes on tumbles clothes, but No heat and the control knob never advaces to the end of the cycle and shuts off. Any ideas what might be the problem. Thanks for you help in advace. john

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-11, 01:58 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello jedijingle and Welcome into the Gas Appliances topic.

Most likely the hot surface glow igniter (HSI) is burned out. Replacement is then the only solution. How to do this step by step is explained in the dryer sticky note. HERE

If the HSI does glow and you hear the first click but not another second click soon to follow the first, likely the solenoids on top of the gas control valve are defective. Replacement is then the solution.

Again, fully explained in the dryer help sticky note. Link above. Reading that sticky note could have already helped you resolve the problem by the time it took to await a reply..........