Multiple BBQ questions

Old 03-07-11, 09:19 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Multiple BBQ questions

I am building an outdoor kitchen island/BBQ.
Not only it's a pain just because of complexity, I am not a "professional" DIYer. It also cost a ton of money, so I am trying to save wherever I can. The cheapest BBQ I was able to find (hopefully a better quality too) was a used Turbo - 4 burner with rear infrared heating element unit. Since it kind of "naturally" becomes a focal point of the whole Island I would like to clean it up and "dress it up" the best I can.
It looks like it was not cleaned very often and the whatever metal is under the stainless grates is rusted. How can I get it the tip-top shape? & hopefully without braking the bank
I also have to admit that because the unit was very cheap - I bought two of them, initially hoping to use some parts from one to supplement the other, but now I am looking at the cooking surface and it looks just a bit bigger than my old Charbroil I used for years and most of the time was at the deficit of space. So I am looking at those two grills and thinking - shoot THAT would look cool rite next to each other. My wife says I am completely out of my mind, compare to usually she says I am just partially out of it

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-11, 06:05 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Newbie and Welcome into the Gas Appliances topic.

I am not exactly sure I know what you need to know???....

Cleaning the BBQ appliance(s).

"It looks like it was not cleaned very often and the whatever metal is under the stainless grates is rusted. How can I get it the tip-top shape? & hopefully without braking the bank."
Possible answer to your quoted question above:
Use a wire brush to remove excess debris. Burners and interior will never look new or completely cleaned as in NEW and/or LIKE NEW. Clean best as possible. Try BBQ cleaner after brushing. Follow can directions exactly as instructed.

Installation of the BBQ appliance next to the existing one??? Or in place of the existing one??? Provide details and clarify.

Read the existing questions on the subject of BB Q's. Doing so will more quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve most BBQ problems.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Old 03-09-11, 07:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pretty much any outdoor appliance is going to get weathered and deteriorate physically.

The body of the grill is probably aluminum, which wont rust, but the paint will fade. Some interior parts are going to be stainless steel, which will weather some. Other parts will be steel and will rust.

The burners will probably corrode to rust after 5-10 years. Usually they can be replaced.

Gas valves will get hard to turn and need to be greased after 10-15 years.

If you want things to look as good as possible, plan to disasssemble the grill every five years or so and to wire brush, prime and paint the aluminum body of the grill. Use high temperature paint. Plan to replace the burners and grease the valves.

If you have wooden handles, refinish those as well.

Inspect everything else for corrosion and deterioration.

Old 03-10-11, 11:00 AM
N
Thanks a lot for the answers.
To clarify of obfuscate

I am usually cooking for lots of people 20-30 on a regular basis that's why I, most of the time, had my Charbroil and a charcoal smoker just for spill-overs. That's why I was considering installing two grills side-by-side and I do know that it IS an overkill
This two Turbo grills are dirty and in need of maintenance so I was asking what is the best way to clean them. i.e. Can/should I use CLR on the stainless burners to remove the deposits? Can I use the ammonia and a black plastic bag as a means to clean off the gunk from grates and other surfaces?

I also came across a Straubelstone stainless grill that looks like have only two burners and it all stainless steel. It's brand new in the box and the price is very reasonable. My concern is how powerful would it be and if I can expect any problems.
Has anyone had experience with those and what would you say about the grill.

Thanks again,

Old 03-11-11, 01:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's unlikely that the grill is "all" stainless steel. Most have some stainless steel parts where you can see them and steel parts that corrode in other places.

Personally I'd favor a wire brush and scraper for getting a lot of gunk off. Spraying oven cleaner on other areas is probably good.

Pretty much any method of degreasing is going to work to one degree or another.

Old 03-12-11, 06:52 PM
N
Thanks,
I was just worried of taking anything harsh like ammonia or caustic cleaners to that infrared burner. Don't know how it's built and works so assuming it little gentler than regular burners.
I also ended up buying that StraubelStone Executive Universal grill (actually 3 burners not two but 30,000btu may not be enough for it's 600 sq inches) with the side burner/grill (another 15,000btu) and the drawers and doors. They don't sell them under the same name any longer, but parts seems to be available. I "tested" the thing with the magnet and whole body with exception of a narrow strip where the lid meets with the body of the grill seems to be stainless steel, at least the magnet did not stick to it. It's a bit angular shape but looks alright. I am hoping to never have a real need to have both grills running, but if I have to I could.