My Coleman boils water faster than the Viking

Old 03-09-11, 07:44 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Coleman boils water faster than the Viking

Background
We installed a Viking VGRT36 or something like that ten years ago during a kitchen remodel. It was installed by our GC not an appliance guy. The next week, we had a gas leak and the Viking service folks either tightened or replaced the regulator. Since then, I have always thought that it heated slowly - It seems strange that my $20 coleman camping stove boils water faster than the $2,000 viking Rangetop

Gas pressure for our outdoor grill was tested by the gas co and was fine.
Natural gas provided by utility
The HE furnaces which I installed with your excellent coaching have worked fine, they were checked by a contractor for heat rise etc. Water heaters seem to work OK but I couldn't really tell what normal is there.

Is there any chance that the Harper-Wyman regulator is adjustable

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-11, 08:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The range has a rating plate that gives the rated BTU input for each burner.

You want to measure the BTU input of one of the burners using the gas meter to measure the amount of gas used when the burner is wide open.

Examine the index (dial) of the gas meter. It typically has a 1 foot test dial and a 2 foot test dial. That means that one or two cubic feet of gas is used in one complete revolution of the dial.

To measure the cubic feet of gas used per hour, turn off other gas appliance or set them to "pilot" so the main burner can't turn on.

Turn one burner full on.

Use a stopwatch to measure the number of seconds for a full revolution of the test dial.

Divide the number of seconds into 3600 seconds (60 seconds x 60 minutes).

Ex: if it took 60 seconds for the dial to rotate completely 3600/60=60 cubic feet/hour using a one foot dial.

If using a 2 foot dial it would be 60*2 or 120 cubic feet per hour.

1 cubic foot of natural gas produces roughly 1000 BTU of heat.

so a burner using 60 cubic feet of gas would be producing about 60,000 BTU of heat per hour.

If your range burner is rated at 10,000 BTU and it's using 9,000 BTU, that's pretty close. It's it's using 5,000 BTU of gas, you have a problem.

Savvy?