Jenn Air JGR8855 BDS oven problem

Old 03-13-11, 09:09 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jenn Air JGR8855 BDS oven problem

I have an oven problem, want to fix this myself. I have a Jenn Air gas range, Model number is described in the title. Oven makes POOFING sounds with a funny aldehyde smell, not a gas smell. Broiler works fine. Oven does seem to reach the proper temperature, though. There are two oven valves -- one is the safety control valve and the other is the main valve. Which one of these do I replace? I found the parts online to this gas range. I will also try to replace the igniter/glow bar, also found that part onliune. Here is your answer a few years ago -- regarding the same sort of problem, to refresh your memory:

"The sounds you hear are most likely caused by the burner flames fluctuating. This condition happens when the gas valves internal solenoid isn't getting sufficient voltage to hold the tiny disk valve fully and firmly opened.

The disk valve is a tiny valve very much like a water faucets valve. When it is lifted off it's seat, gas is allowed to flow thru it to the burner. This part is called the solenoid valve and it is an internal part within the gas valves main body.

To correct the condition, the entire gas valve would need to be replaced. The internal solenoid valve assembly is not an individually replaceable part.

Another possiblity could be a weak glow coil or glow bar. A weak glow coil or glow bar {Hot Surface Ignition} will not pass sufficient voltage to the gas valve. A lack of current will cause the solenoid valve to open but not firmly hold the disk valve opened.

If this is the case, the lack of sufficient voltage or a weak solenoid, will cause the disk to fluctuate. The fluctuating disk, opening and slightly closing, will cause the burner flames to also fluctuate and create the sounds your hearing.

Replacing the gas valve, in combo with the glow coil, glow bar {Hot Surface Ignition Device} will cure the problem."

I need to know which valve you are talking about. Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-11, 09:12 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
P.S. Here is the parts diagram for this range. Two Valves -- #4 and # 14.
Thanks again.

Maytag Appliance JGR8855BDS Parts List