Gas grill not much flame

Old 03-19-11, 06:24 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas grill not much flame

I have a Char-broil gas(lp) grill that doesn't seem to get the proper gas flow.
It has 3 burners and if all of them are turned on the flame becomes very small or goes out all together. I have 2 propane tanks and they both seem to work on a turkey cooker that I own so I assume that the problem is with the grill.
At one point I ran out of propane and used a slightly larger tank from a camper, was that a bad thing to do?
If I shake or invert the tank I will get a larger flame while it is in this position, but then it returns to a small flame.
Sometimes frost develops on the "flying saucer" type device that is in the gas hose. What is this device? and do they go bad?
Thanks for any help I can get!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-11, 07:03 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello bmcguane and Welcome into the Gas Appliances topic.

2 possibilities come to mind after reading the problem description.

One:
The "Flying Saucer" device is the gas regulator. Very likely defective. A replacement is suggested and recommended. Not all that expensive and rather easy to replace the existing one. Just be sure to install it with the arrow facing in the correct direction and do not over tighten the fittings or threads. Lube them with any type of oil and do not use any thread tape or pipe compounds.

Two:
Very possible there are spider webs in the burner orifices. Those are thimble hex nut caps on the burners manifold. The ends of the burners slip onto them. Remove the burners. Then unscrew the brass or bronze hex nuts. Clean or clear out the orifices and the manifolds threaded extensions of any webs and or debris. Once completed, re-install each orifice and each burner. Problem should be resolved.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under BBQ appliances.

Read the existing questions on the subject of BBQ's. Doing so will more quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve most BBQ problems.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.