dryer vents

Old 12-28-00, 10:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

i am building a house near the ocean. i am trying to find a clothes dryer vent (the part that goes through the concrete wall) that has the following qualities: 1)is screened or grated to prevent entrance of insects and rodents; 2) is made of a material that is rust resistant.

So far i have only found aluminum that i assume will rust and vinyl hoods that i have been told will not withstand heat???? I have read that rigid stainless steel ducting exists, but wondered if the part that goes through the wall is available in galvanized or stainless steel.

I would appreciate recommendations as to the best option for this situation. Thanks! tree

Old 12-28-00, 08:28 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi, tree

What you want is one that will last forever. I agree with you, there should be one but highly doubt you'll find it. <Nothing built these days seems to be built to last.>

Building one of stainless steel would be fine except for the cost factor. The plastic ones will not deteriorate quickly from the dryers heat but do dry out. Plastic will dry out faster if exposed to direct sunlight but still last several years.

The standard aluminum one should last many years, even in the salt air.

The vent already has a free floating trap door that self closes when there isn't any dryer exhaust air pushing it open. This will keep out bugs and rodents.

Old 12-30-00, 11:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thank you Tom for your insightful response!

By reading between the lines, you responded to my concerns as well as my questions. You not only gave me very useful facts but also helped me put the problem in perspective so that I can now proceed with more confidence.

Really appreciate it, Tree

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: