Propane tank connection

Old 03-22-11, 05:54 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Propane tank connection

I have 2 propane gas tanks hooked up to my cooktop only and use less than 40 gallons/year. My supplier is going to change the setup from two 100# tanks to one so I meet the new minimum usage requirement, even though they'll have to fill the tanks twice a year instead of once. Anyway, a friend suggested I look into connecting those 20# propane tanks (used with gas barbecues) which I could maintain myself. Would they connect the same way? Are any adapters needed? Is there anything else I should know about doing this? (I'm working on price comparisons.)

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-11, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
I dont see why not. Where is the current regulator for the stove? Make sure you use that regulator. You will probably need to adapt some fittings to connect them. Your best bet would be a RV shop. Usually the RV set ups have a dual port regulator. I would use copper flare fitting and make a tee set up.

Also something about the small tanks freezing in colder climates with a fast draw. I think you will be fine.

Here in NJ with tax its $22 to fill a #20. That was the last time I filled last year.

Mike NJ

Old 03-22-11, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 32 Posts
If you had your location, at least by State we would know how better to answer your question.

If you were in the lower states you may not have a problem but an upper State would likely be too cold to maintain a high enough pressure in a small 20# tank on cold days.
The volume of propane in a tank does affect cold weather operation.

If you were to need two fills/yr on a single 100lb tank it would go to say you would need to change out the 20 lb'ers at least monthly to make sure you don't run out.

If you wanted to diy, why don't you purchase a 100lb tank and get it refilled.........The fittings whould be the same as a 20 lb tank.

Old 03-23-11, 12:49 PM
F
Both of your answers have been very helpful. I live in central New York State. I checked one place for a price on a 20# tank and it's $22. At that rate, it would cost more than what I pay now and I'd have to deal with an average of 8 refills a year for the volume I use. Doesn't make sense. I will look into purchasing a 100# tank from the propane supplier, instead of using their tank, but I'm not sure it's worth having the responsibility.

Old 03-23-11, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
You haven't said what is wrong with them filling their 100# tank.
Also, you might want to ask them if one 100# tank at your lowest outdoor temperature would give you a high enough pressure to operate your cook top at full output.

It could potentially be unsafe if the flames were to diminish at low pressures.

Old 03-24-11, 02:31 PM
F
There's no problem with them filling their 100# tank. I was exploring my options, since they now have a minimum annual use requirement and I was not pleased with the way they presented the change in policy. I would have to use at least the total capacity of my tanks each year or incur a penalty. Since I have 2 100# tanks which equal a 48 gallon total capacity, and I use about 38 gallons/year, I would have to pay a penalty for under usage. By removing one of the tanks so I only have 24 gallons (and will require additional refilling on their part), I will not be penalized. Go figure.

Old 03-24-11, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
It is quite understandable.
Those tanks cost money and they need to turn over revenue.
The cost of having the tanks sit idle must exceed the cost of an extra delivery.

Old 03-25-11, 10:12 AM
F
The second tank was removed today. The service tech said there's no problem of diminished pressure with a 100# tank. It would only be a consideration with 20# tanks, just as Greg mentioned on 3-22-11, so that's another reason to avoid going the 20# route. They also only service their own tanks and that's fine with me. Presumably the delivery cost is buried in the price per gallon on my bills, but I'm still in better shape keeping the current system. Thank you all for your suggestions and support.

Old 03-25-11, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
Good job!!! You did your homework.......

Mike NJ