older propane stove with oven and oven will not light

Old 06-06-11, 12:59 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
older propane stove with oven and oven will not light

Hi, my name is Ross and I have an older rv with propane stove/oven. I can light the pilot light in the oven but the burner for the oven or the broiler will not light from the pilot light when turning the oven control on.

I have tried to manually light the burner by turning on the oven control and placing a match by the burner but nothing happens.

I have no idea what brand the stove is but it is probably 20 years old. There are no pilot lights for the top burners(4) so I believe this is an old style match lit stove.

Should I be looking at testing my control valve to make sure that it is working to let gas through to the burner or should I be looking at removing the burner and trying to clean it ( I have no idea how to do either of these things so would need instructions)

thanks for taking the time to read this
Ross Kennedy

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-11, 05:31 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello ross-k. Welcome to Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Stove is exactly the same as any household oven/stove. Same problems can exist and are resolved in the same manner. Your appliance is not a match light oven. Burner gas will not come out to burner unless the safety element allows it to. Which may be a result of having a dirty pilot assembly or defective safety element.

Most likely the pilot orifice in the pilot assembly is restricted. Thus restricting pilot gas flow. Clearing out the debris from the orifice and the burner flame holes usually works. Worth a first try attempt.

A can of compressed air use to clean computer keyboards usually works. Insert the plastic extension tube from the can into the secondary air holes just behind the pilot flame holes and right after the assembly nut. Blow air into both of the holes.

There will be two air opening holes. The trick is to direct the air at the orifice which is facing the holes. Then do this from the opposite side through the other air opening hole.

Then blow air into the hole(s) where the flames appear. The method used to do this and the above varies based on the type of pilot assembly used.

Objective is to clear the pilot assembly without having to remove it, then disassemble it, clean it and reinstall it, if possible. Once the cleaning is done, test it.

If the above method works, task done... If not... the entire pilot assembly needs to be removed, cleaned and reinstalled. Use caution. The parts are rather tiny, can break easily, etc.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.