50's Wedgewood Gas/Wood Stove—does it have a regulator?

Old 06-23-11, 08:44 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
50's Wedgewood Gas/Wood Stove—does it have a regulator?

We recently moved this heavy thing across the country, away from its original hook-up. We can't find a regulator on it! We need to know whether to buy a gas line with a regulator attached, or without one?
Old 06-24-11, 05:47 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 10,398
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Annalysa. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Not all 50's era gas and wood burning combination type stoves will have a gas regulator. More likely those that have wood burning capabilities will not. And those without a regulator should not be connected with one. The orifices are pre set to allow proper operation without an appliance regulator as long as the same fuel type is used in the new location as it was in the former location.

If there is a regulator it will not be installed on the gas line. It would be installed on the main gas inlet manifold pipe on the stove. There will be a adapter installed into it that accepts a flex gas line. That adapter is likely to be the old style and not fit a new style flex gas line. Therefore, that will have to be replaced with a new style. As will the gas shut off valve on the main gas supply pipe extending out of the wall.

Best bet is to inquire at a local appliance parts store for change over parts or a privately owned hardware store in the local town you're moving into what parts will be needed. I do not recommend big box stores nor on-line sites for such conversion parts if you're not exactly sure what is needed. All connections also need to met local connection codes.

Some gas companies that sell Natural or propane gas offer in home services. Might be worth calling the company that supplies that area and ask them if they offer in home services.
Old 06-27-11, 09:11 AM
SeattlePioneer's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 5,499
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There should be a rating plate on the range with the name of the manufacturer, type of fuel it's designed to burn, burner inputs and the gas pressure the range is designed to use.

An old range may have been modified in ways you aren't going to know about, so the operation of the range should be checked against the standards on the rating plate, including the gas pressure required.

Moving the range and then not knowing if there was a regulator is an example of what I'm talking about, but the range could be set up for propane or have other modifications.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: