New appliance

Old 01-02-01, 06:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I recently purchased a used Jenn air gas cooktop. If anyone is familiar with Jenn air model# CCGP2720P...according to the directions(which were included), there should be a secondary control panel mounted beneath the main control panel(which was not included). It appears to be a piece of steel that serves only for looks. I wonder if it's necessary for some unforseen reason.
I am in the process of hooking up the gas line to check for any problems before I commit and butcher my cabinet. I bought a flexible flare fitting gas line for the gas supply and after testing for leaks w/ soapy water discovered leaks at the flare fitting joints. I feel pretty sure that the connection is tight enough...now I'm wondering if it's too tight. I dont have a torque wrench, so is there a method of tightening to the proper torque, like maybe 1/4 turn past hand tight or something??
Hope that's enough info.

??

Old 01-02-01, 08:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi:kennyf

If your positive the new flex connector female threads match those on the shut off valve, you should only have to tighten the connector nut snugly using an adjustable wrench.

To correctly install a flex connector, straighten out about 10 to 12 inches of the flex from the female nut. Then hold it in one hand while you install the nut onto the shut off valve.

Then begin tightening the nut with your fingers until the flex flare end is close to the shut off valve. At this time, be sure the flex flare lines up squarely with the shut off valve. Begin to wiggle the connector slightly as you hand tighten the nut. Then attach the wrench and snug up the nut.

The intent using this method to install a flex connector is to be positive the flare <coned> end of the connector lines up squarely with the male ends tapered end. The flex connector held directly inline with the shutoff valve and the gentle wiggling of the connector as you tighten up the nut will insure a lined up and snug fit.

HINT:
DO NOT put pipe tape on any shutoff valves tapered end.
Applying a lite weight OIL to the threads is fine.

Regarding that missing decorative panel, it should be okay to install the stove top without it. Unless the panel piece has louvers, which are there to provide combustion air, ventilation or access to other controls.

Check with the local appliance parts store for more information regarding the missing part.

TIPS:
Be sure to correctly install the gas appliance regulator. There will be an arrow to indicate the flow of gas on the regulator.

Use pipe thread sealant <NOT TAPE> on the threads of the pipe before installing the appliance regulator onto the manifold pipe of the cooktop.

Old 01-02-01, 08:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your response. I'll try again tomorrow night using your advice.

Old 01-04-01, 01:18 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Talking Make sure of all the pieces on the flex...

When I used to work in the hardware store, many times customers would come in confused with what was need to hook this up.

The flex connectors usually have the proper fittings to adapt the flex's nut to the proper pipe thread on the house supply and the back of the unit. How many times a customer would come back and say "It leaks". Nine times out of ten I would ask why there are no pipe threaded fittings. "I never got those ".

What happened was that people would pilfer the proper end fittings and you had trouble as a result. The end on the flex hose are not all the times pipe thread or what you need.

Worth a check. Perhaps this is part of the cause of the trouble. I like to use pipe compound (approved for gas use) on my connections.

Just thought I would add that in...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: