Continuous clean oven interior cracked and flaking

Old 07-05-11, 10:35 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Continuous clean oven interior cracked and flaking

I think I have a continuous clean oven. The house didn't come with many appliance papers, and the oven has a very rough surface. So I am pretty sure it is continuous clean.

A few weeks ago, I was moving the racks, and I noticed that on the bottom 3 slots (which I was not messing with), the coating has large cracks and looks like it would flake away if it was bumped. The cracks are probably 1/4 inch wide, so it is definitely visible.

I think we need a new oven , long term, but short term, I was wondering if this is unsafe. Are toxic fumes going to get into my food? Is there a fire hazard?

Thanks!

Old 07-06-11, 05:35 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello tltanner. Welcome to Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by bottom "slots." If you're referring to the bottom panels that have slots along the side edges, that coating they have on them is designed and intended to absorb the spill overs and drippings during the baking process.

Over time, the coating gets stained and will begin to flake and crack. Normal aging process. Those flakes are not intended to get into any food items and whether the coating is toxic or not I am not sure. Much of the coating will come off during any hand or manual cleaning process. Under the coating is the bare metal.

If you elect to hand clean the panels you may do so using only soap and water. Remove the panels first. Do not scrap the surfaces or scour the surfaces with steel wool or abrasive cleans, etc. Just soap and warm water. Dry and return them to there original locations.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any cleaning or repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Regards and Good Luck. Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 07-06-11, 01:44 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear in my first post. By slots, I meant the grooves that the oven racks slide into. My oven has 5 possible positions for racks, and the coating on the sides of the oven, around those grooves, is cracking. I do not think it's from abuse, since I almost never move my racks. Since it is the bottom 3, and of course, the gas flame is in the bottom, I suspect that they are breaking down due to the heat, and maybe the shape of the grooves makes that an area that is easier to break down.

I would not attempt to clean my oven at all right now, because it looks like that coating is just begging to peel off, like cracked paint. I just don't know if I will be making toxic brownies, and don't want to give anyone cancer if I can help it. Or burn my house down....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: