Gas Stove Fumes

Old 01-03-01, 06:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Hi. We moved into a house with a Kenmore "drop-in" gas range that's probably 15+ years old (#6283528110). The unit is situated in a kitchen island with no overhead ventilation.

The stove units are fine but the oven emits a strong odor when it's in use. It seems to be getting worse but I'm not positive. We've had the gas company out to assure that there's no gas leak but the technician couldn't diagnose a stove problem. I got a carbon monoxide detector and it clearly climbs up in a hurry when the oven is on at higher tempertaures (350+). So, we have to open up the windows when we use the oven for any length of time.

This is our first gas stove and it seems that a ventilated hood would be ideal (it's not possible given the current configuration in our kitchen). But I can't imagine that the previous owners lived with the oven producing fumes like it does now.

What would you advise re:
-trying to clean certain elements myself
-having a service tech clean/adjust the unit
-consider purchasing a newer range
-moving the unit against a wall so we could vent it to the outside

I appreciate any input you can provide.

PB

Old 01-03-01, 02:25 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi:pbors

About the only thing you can do is not to use any aluminum foil on the racks or lower cover pans of the oven. Doing so will restrict air flow and cause smpthering flames which give off huge amounts of carbon monoxides.

When the oven or broiler door is closed <depending on the location of the burner> look inside thru the glass and see if the flames remain attached to the burner and are all blue in color. If not or there is any doubt, contact the gas company once again.

Also, the flames should NOT exceed the size of the flame spreader. <The flame spreader is that metal plate attached to the top of the burner.> The flames should be about one inch or more smaller then the flame spreader. If not, CO will be produced.

A CO detector will show a high level of CO when just about any oven is turned on. It's just the nature of an oven. However, three points on this matter.

A CO detector should not be used in ANY kitchen per the directions in the owners manual.

An oven can be NOX TESTED for CO. The gas company should have trained personal to do this for you upon your request.

A dirty oven will emit an unusually high CO level even if the burner is correctly adjusted. If needed, clean the oven and see if it helps to correct the odor problem.

There isn't any place in the country I am aware of where an overhead exhaust vent is required for a stove or an oven. If these appliance are cleaned and adjusted properly, the amount of CO produced with normal operation is well within the acceptable limits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: