GE Gas Range/ Glow Plug went out

Old 01-03-01, 10:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I recently replaced my glow plug on Broiler side inside my oven. The broiler would not go on and the Self-cleaning feature was not working and there was no smell of gas. I called the appliance repairman and he said that it would be 44 dollars just to come out and look at the oven. He also mentioned about the glow plug and the total for replacement would be 229 dollars. So I figured I would fix it myself. After spending 60 dollars on the new plug and installing it, I wonder if I solved the problem. The glow plug works and the burner bar lights, but the glow plug never seems to turn off after lighting. Have I only replaced the result of another problem such as a thermostate that regulates the glow plug or does the glow plug stay lit the entire time during the operation of the burner bar. Is there a thermostate that regualates the operation of the glow plug. My Gas range is three years old and is a GE XL44.

Old 01-04-01, 02:54 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Problem Solved

Hi:Coachfrig

The problem is solved. Oven working correctly. The glow coil is suppose to remain on the entire time the burner is on.

When the temperature inside the oven is reached, the thermostat will turn off the electrical current to the glow coil. When the coil cools down enough, it will then shut off the current flow to the gas valve and the burner will shut off.

Therefore, everything is working correctly. You fixed it. There is no need to fix it any further.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: