Gaffers & Sattler Wall Oven: Pilot Light On but Oven Doesn't Light

Old 08-04-11, 07:55 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gaffers & Sattler Wall Oven: Pilot Light On but Oven Doesn't Light

Hi,

I have a Gaffers & Sattler wall oven (very old--I'm guessing at least 30-40 years). The pilot (located on the top of the broiler section) is lit and burns a steady blue flame. However when I turn the temperature dial, the oven's main burner does not light. On the main panel (with the clock, timer, temperature dial, and indicator lights), the "Keep warm" indicator will light if the temperature dial is set to a given temperature, however the "Oven on" indicator below it does not light (and I cannot hear/smell any gas flowing into the main burner).

I do not see any red reset button anywhere, and based on a response by Sharp Advice in a thread with a similar problem, I believe the problem might be the oven's flame switch. (I believe my oven has a flame switch because the safety element's opposite end is a shiny round piece of metal secured to the back wall of the oven by two screws.)

I would appreciate any advice on what I should do. The obvious one is to shut off the gas line, unplug the oven, remove the flame switch, and take the flame switch to the appliance store for diagnosis/replacement. But I thought I would ask if there is something else I should do before that step.

I have photos of the area in question in case it might be helpful, but I don't see a way for me to post them here.

In any case, thank you in advance for your help.

Eugene

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-11, 05:07 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Eugene and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

I compliment you for taking the time to read what I wrote about safety devices installed on ovens and broilers for all cooking appliances. You are correct about your stove having a flame switch. What likely needs to be done is to remove the flame switch and replace it with a new OEM one.

The flame switch has a vapor charge that expands when heated by the constant burning pilot flame beneath it. Once that charge dissapates over time and age, the safety device no longer works as designed and or intended. Replacement then is the only option.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first. A flame switch is operated by line (House Line) voltage.

Pilot often does not need to be turned off first. Unless the assembly is to hot to handle for a novice...) If pilot is turned off, be sure to turn it back on once new flame switch is installed. Allow 5 minutes for new switch to reheat before turning on oven.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Old 08-05-11, 01:50 PM
H
Thank you Sharp Advice for your response.

I've started the process of removing the flame switch. Unfortunately I've run into a speed bump as the 2 screws holding the bracket with the thermocouple and pilot light are stuck and I've stripped them, so I need to figure out how to remove them before I can take the flame switch to the appliance repair store.

I've tried WD40 but I didn't notice any difference. The screw heads can still take some torque but I'm not confident I'll be able to remove them with a screwdriver. I did some research and found a device called a screw extractor that I think I will try.

In any case I will update this thread after I have been able to remove the bracket.

Thank you,

Eugene

Old 08-06-11, 09:09 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Before you remove the flame switch and pilot, light pilot and then take a pair of needle nose pliers and hold a couple of matches with the pliers and hold the matches under the cap tube. If the burner comes on chances are the flame switch is ok, but the pilot is low.

Old 08-07-11, 01:07 AM
H
Thank you mbk3 for your response.

Before I started removing the flame switch, I was surprised to discover that the pilot had been since I first moved into this house (almost two years ago). (To make a long story short, I was aware that the oven was not operational when I moved in, but had forgotten or never knew that the gas company had lit the pilot in the oven.) The pilot flame was enveloping the thermocouple rod above it, so although I could be mistaken, I don't believe it was a problem with the pilot light. As I mentioned originally, I could not hear or smell any gas from the main burner when the thermostat was turned on.

At any rate, an update to my situation: I have been able to remove the two screws holding the pilot/thermocouple assembly to another metal plate (using a screw extractor), but now I am having a most difficult time loosening the bolt holding the pilot gas line to the pilot light. But I'll keep trying! This is the last step before I am able to take the entire flame switch and pilot assembly to the appliance repair store.

Will update again when there is some progress made.

Thank you again for your input.