Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Gas< Kitchen Appliances, Dryers and BBQ's
Reload this Page >

Converting my kitchenaid bqq BACK to propane (was originally) from natural gas

Old 08-06-11, 10:19 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Kitchenaid BBQ KFRS271TSS.

I just bought this BBQ, the previous owner had converted it to natural gas. I would like to convert it back, but I don't know how.
I thought it would be a matter of unscrewing one and screwing on the other, but there's no manual and more pieces than I expected!... assuming I need them all. :|

In the manual, it says I need the W10118099 Conversion kit to switch to LP, but seeing as how the parts I have were the one's I originally installed they will work, the manual for that kit would be golden!

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-08-11, 07:04 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello baxtothemax. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

You said in one paragraph
"there's no manual."
In another paragraph you said
"In the manual, it says I need the W10118099 Conversion kit to switch to LP"
I'm confused...... Which is it???

Most likely you'll have to go to an appliance retail parts store and/or a local BBQ patio/fireplace/BBQ retail store and purchase a complete conversion kit. Which will contain any required regulator and all the orifices needed. Each part will need to be installed from that conversion kit.

Be sure to bring the BBQ brand name, model number and serial numbers with you. Also the BTU ratings for each burner. All this information will be on the appliances rating plate located some where on the BBQ.

To answer your question, yes. You will need to unscrew each orifices and install the new propane ones. Then unscrew the existing regulator and install the new one.

Carefully install new regulator. Over tightening the new regulator will or can cause it to crack the housing. Do Not use pipe tape on the threads. Only pipe thread compound or light weight motor oil.

Be sure regulator is pointed in the correct direction also. Look for the "ARROW" pointer on it's bottom side.

Read the existing questions on the subject of BBQ's. Doing so will more quickly provide you with answers to fuel conversion questions, answers & provide additional information on how to fuel convert most BBQ's.

The appliance regulator should not be installed on the main gas feed-line, which may be the pipe coming out of the exterior house wall or extending out of the ground. The regulator should be installed in the exact location where the propane regulator was.

Once you have everything installed, turn the gas shutoff valve "ON" and soap test all the parts you connected and installed, checking for leaks.

Make up a cupful of slightly extra soapy water soap solution using common dish washing liquid soap and apply soap to both ends of the connector, on all installed parts and fittings with the gas turned on. Watch for bubbles. Applying the soapy water solution can be done with an ordinary fine bristled paint brush or paper towel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: