1928 New Process Gas Range

Old 08-19-11, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1928 New Process Gas Range

Hi Everybody,

I have a 1928 New Process Gas Range that has a leaky oven valve (the main on/off valve for the oven, which is on the side of the range, below the thermostat).

Is anybody familiar with what steps I would need to take to repair this valve?

I've done the soap test, and I get bubbles at the back part of the valve, where the valve goes through the supply pipe, not all the way at the back end where the screw is.

Unity Stove Works (who rebuilt the thermostat for me) suggested tightening the screw in the back (but not too tight!); or taking the valve apart & repacking it. However, they were vague about what to repack it with. They then said if that didn't work, I should take the valve off & send it to them & they would fix it.

It looks like a simple valve, and I would like to try to repair it myself if I could get some more specific instructions.

Many thanks for any advice!

Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-11, 03:41 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Not familiar with that gas valve but if it is like most it may just need a little grease. The ones I'm thinking of have a round, machined, tapered core that goes in the valve body. If that is what you have I'd disassemble, apply a thin coating of plumbers grease and reassemble. Of course if it has been used dry for a while it may need re-machining.

Old 08-20-11, 05:24 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Kathy and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

Greasing a core valve, which is very likely to be what you're describing isn't all that difficult. However, there is some cautions needed.

FIRST:
Cautionary Reminder Notes:
Before attempting any cleaning or repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

SECOND: Be sure the gas supply to the entire appliance is "OFF."

Remove the knob carefully. May be a set screw securing it on or it may simply pull off. Look around the entire circumference diameter for a set screw. If you see one it has to be backed out some before the knob, handle or lever on the valve can be removed.

Once the knob (etc) is removed you'll need to remove the securing clip around the valve cores body. Very likely to be a horse shoe semi circle securing plate. Will likely have two screws holding it in place. One screw on each side.

Remove screws carefully and genitally pull out the core valve. Wipe it clean and reapply some light weight valve grease. Not to much grease. Just enough to coat the core.

Reinstall core and carefully semi rotate it to spread some grease onto the inside valve body. Then reinstall the securing plate and use the screws you removed to secure the plate.

Turn gas on and test for leaks. No leaks job done.

Be aware there may be a gasket used. If there is one, not likely but possible, do not damage it. Remove it carefully and do not forget to reinstall it as you found it installed during the disassembly process.

Valve core re-greasing info should be in the sticky note here: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Use the reply button to add additional information, questions and to update the results, etc. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Old 08-20-11, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Success!

Hi Sharp and Ray,

Many thanks for the great advice -- I had success on my second try!

The valve did not have a set screw, and came out easily after taking the brass screw off the back. (After the screw, there was a flat washer, and then a spring, and then the specialty washer that allows the valve to only turn 90 degrees on/off when in use -- all of those slipped off with no problem.)

The valve was not dry, just probably dirty. On the first try, I cleaned and re-greased the valve, but didn't think to do the female half on the stove, so I still had a tiny leak after first reassembly. Re-did everything a second time, but cleaned the receiving part of the valve too, and voila! no leaks!

Very simple valve, and very satisfying to be able to do it myself.

Thanks again!
Kathy

PS Sharp -- I had seen the greasing instructions in the sticky that you mentioned; but was after exactly the stuff that you posted: What to watch out for so I didn't break anything when I took it apart. --K

Old 08-20-11, 11:30 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Glad we could help. Thanks for letting us know.