Bosch dual fuel stove flame adjustment issues.

Old 09-26-11, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bosch dual fuel stove flame adjustment issues.

Hello everybody,

Just here looking for some information regrading a gas stove setup.
I have recently purchased a new Bosch dual fuel stove (gas top/electric oven) and I'm having some issues with the way it's currently working.
The stove came from the manufacturer configured for natural gas but due to our home set up we decided to convert it to LPG. This has been done by an authorised gas installer. (new jets + LPG regulator) At no small cost, I might add.
This is when I realised that there is no adjustment on the gas burners. They ignite at their maximum setting (which is normal) but nothing happens for about 75% of the knob rotation only to be dropping sharply at the bottom 25% of the rotation (simmer setting).
I, personally, don't believe this is normal as there are gradations on the knob indicating that some adjustment should be noticed from maximum to minimum. Nevertheless, the service techs that came and looked at this tried to convince me that it's how it should be, that I'm just too difficult and that I shouldn't expect any more. I've grown up using gas stoves and I've worked in various commercial kitchens that used gas and I've NEVER seen anything like this.
So, to cut the rant short . My question is: What do you think? Is this something that I have to deal with or should I keep hounding them until they do their job properly.
Stove: 4 burner Bosch HGV74W355A with electric oven (sold in Australia and NZ) but I'm sure there's an equivalent on the US market.

Thanks in advance for any info you might be able to provide and please ask if further info is required.

R

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-11, 11:08 PM
You might have better luck hounding Bosch about what is proper operation, but don't hold your breath.

We have owned a similar range since March this year, but configured for natural gas (it came with an LPG conversion kit in the package, FWTW) and the behavior of the top burner controls is similar to what you describe - not much change in flame size for 1/2 of the rotation. I had figured it had something to do with living at 7300 ft. We have gotten past worrying about the dial calibrations. Maybe that's the best choice for you, too.

Old 09-27-11, 05:46 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello R and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

I do not often use a quote to highlight or emphasize what a member asked. Here I find it helpful because I do not fully understand what you mean by "No Adjustment."

This is when I realised that there is no adjustment on the gas burners. They ignite at their maximum setting (which is normal) but nothing happens for about 75% of the knob rotation only to be dropping sharply at the bottom 25% of the rotation (simmer setting).
My question to you is what happens when you rotate the knob to increase the flame size once the flame is at the lowest (simmer) setting? I suspect the flame begins at the highest setting to ignite and then lowers to simmer at the end of the rotate, like you stated.

But you did not mention if the flame size can be increased (larger) in graduations from the lowest (simmer) setting. Which may be how the knobs needed to be used to adjust flame size. Meaning an adjustment begins at the simmer flame size then increases on the up rotation.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Old 09-27-11, 06:55 PM
Hello there,

Thanks for your help on this one.
In reply to your question, the same thing happens but in reverse.
When rotating the knob back towards the maximum flame setting there is a slight upward adjustment through the simmer setting (first 25% of the rotation). Afterwards the flame goes back to its maximum setting and stays that way for the other 75% of the rotation.
Just to clarify, the simmer setting is at the end of the knob rotation. Theoretically (as the graphs on the knob indicate) the flame should start at its maximum and decrease as the knob is rotated towards the minimum setting.

Old 06-20-14, 12:09 AM
Ajusting burner range

There are tiny crews in the shelf where the stove knobs mount that must be rotated clockwise - if you cannot get the burners to simmer - this adjustment is still not correct. Those techs are wrong, these burners can be made to have a large range.

Old 06-20-14, 10:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The tiny screws in the burner valves are for adjusting the low setting of the valve so that the flame doesn't go out when the valve is turned to it's lowest setting. The actual range of the valve is determined during production and cannot be changed.

Old 12-13-14, 03:25 AM
How to increase flame on wok burner

Hi, we have one of these on Natural gas. Can the flame on the wok burner be increased? It isn't quite hot enough. For example when cooking steak, instead of frying at a good heat, it ends up broiling because it isn't hot enough.

Old 12-13-14, 02:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Do you have the same exact model ?
The other poster was in Australia.... should be different models.

There is no adjustment to "turn up" to get a hotter flame. That is determined by the burner and the size of the orifice... which may be changeable.