no heat in stupid old dryer

Old 01-07-01, 10:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Hello
Please help I have read every thread for the past hundred days. The dryer is a eighties GE model, i don't have the users manual. Every thing seems fine except it is not heating. I've opened the door in the front i don't see a red handle, so i guess it is a electric ignition. I see a medel tube and hooked on the right side is a black something with wires coming from it. How do i replace that? I would like your opionion if it is even worth fixing the dryer.

Thanks, Kathleen

[Edited by Tom_Bartco on 01-21-01 at 07:22]

Old 01-08-01, 07:45 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi kathleen

Based on the age of the dryer, it has an electric ignition.
If you have checked all the settings on the control panel and the glow coil fails to glow, most likely the coil is burned out.

You can leave that burner compartment door open and turn the dryer on. Then as your loking in there, you should see the coil begin to glow. If not, then it is burned out.

During your archive reading, you should have noticed the information posted on how to remove the whole burner assembly. Once it's out, take it to the local appliance store for testing and replace any defective part.

Then reinstall the assembly and turn on the dryer. It should now work.

Also be sure you read the safety information. The dryer will have to be unplugged and the gas turned off. The exhaust vent tube doesn't need to be removed.

[Edited by Tom_Bartco on 01-21-01 at 07:25]

Old 01-19-01, 10:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks for the reply

Mr.Bartco,
Thanks for your help I removed the whole ignition. Brought it to my local store. They recomended a new dryer. And we agree. Kathleen

[Edited by Tom_Bartco on 01-21-01 at 07:26]

Old 01-20-01, 06:03 PM
Otto
Visiting Guest
"Vintage" dryers are far and away better then the junk being engineered and built today. If it's not too late you might want to try fixing this one still. Replacing the ignitor is simple and cheap. Just make sure u have the gas line tight when u are done.

Old 01-23-01, 11:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up It is working

Thank you for all your help,
That was not easist thing to do. The coil was not making a good enough connection, and the glass had fallen out of the sensor, I replaced them all, and i once again have fire. Just to double check the gas fire should burn blue, right??
Thank you again,
Kathleen Martin

Old 01-24-01, 09:35 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Congratulations

Hi:Kathleen

Congratulations on a job well done and now having a dryer that works. To answer your question, yes, the flames should be blue and pointing directly down the burner tube.

As a side note, you might want to clean out the dryers exhaust vent tube if it has been not been done in the last several years. Good maintenance idea and time to clean up any lint or dust under and behind the dryer also.

Regards,
Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: