Gas Stove - One burner not lighting

Old 11-18-11, 08:42 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Stove - One burner not lighting

Frigidaire electronic "ignition" stove. One burner will not light. I've tried cleaning out gas port. When I turn the knob to Light I hear the ignition "clicking" but in order to use burner I have to light with a match.

This would be a minor inconvenience - however my 90 yr old mom came to live with me and I'm afraid there will an accident if the burner doesnt light (still smell gas coming from the burner)...

THe stove top does NOT lift up.....can't even fool around with this one!

Any suggestions?

Oh and BTW - if I take the metal ring off a working burner, (to check to see if an obstruction is causing problem) it still doesnt work on inoperable burner.

Last edited by kathie659; 11-18-11 at 08:46 AM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-11, 09:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 606 Votes on 559 Posts
Can you see the ignitor tip near the burner? Do you see a spark jumping from the tip to the burner when you try to light the stove?

Look closely at the holes in the burner near the ignitor. My wife is a very messy cook and they often clog with food spills. If the gas cannot make it out the holes the burner will not ignite. A little poking in the holes with a toothpick usually gets it working again.

Old 11-19-11, 03:56 PM
K
There is no spark at the broken burner - when i turn the broken burner knob to light - another burner sparks....

I tried cleaning it months ago and today again. I can smell gas coming through when I try to light it - it just doesnt spark or ignite

Old 11-19-11, 04:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Usually turning any of the range burner knobs on will start the spark to all the burners. Check and see if that's the case on your range.

Old 11-19-11, 04:23 PM
K
Yes they do all click when I turn any of them on "light" they don't all appear to spark when I turn any of them on....the broken one doesnt spark at all - is changing it a do it myself project?? I've wired recepticles, lights ans switches in the past...

Old 11-19-11, 05:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 606 Votes on 559 Posts
I can't recall the Figidaire burners right now but can you remove the burner head from the cook top? After removing the grate you should be able to lift or twist & lift the burner. After it's removed you should be able to see the wire leading to the ignitor. Make sure it is securely plugged in.

Old 11-20-11, 05:04 AM
K
there are 2 small bolts securing the burner head/ignitor to cook top- the stove top cant be lifted (already checked direction) does the ceramic ignitor perhaps unscrew??

Old 12-15-11, 08:53 AM
N
Same issue

Hi I had the same issue. I was able to fix it by spraying GlassPlus over the spark area and letting it sit for 10 minutes. Vinegar also seemed to do the trick.
Then poke a little with a toothpick and wipe with a paper towel. I put the metal top back on and the spark started working again.
I hope this helps.