oven wont work

Old 11-22-11, 02:41 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
oven wont work

Hello I'm new to this I have a caloric heritage series stove my oven started acting up by not keeping temp i would bang on the tube by the igniter then it would kick back on. Now I cant get it to work at all the igniter won't work the burners ontop work fine. The model # is Rls359 serial # is 9204226938 any advice would be great thanksgiving is two days away and we dnt have an oven wife is not happy thx again

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-11, 07:53 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Well it was probably the igniter at first. After banging and the igniter does not glow, you may have broken a wire in the gas valve. If the igniter still glows I would replace the igniter unless you have the meter to test it first.

Old 11-23-11, 03:15 AM
B
Thx ya the igniter doesn't glow or do i smell gas when i turn on the oven. When i would bang on the burner it would kick the burner on almost like the gas wasn't coming out. Then like I said all of a suden the igniter wouldn't come on either. So i will try to get an igniter to see if that works but first I will test it.Now the oven switch on top seems like it isn't getting power it says it is 120 but when i put the meter on it it has nothing not real sure about gas stoves never worked on one but if i.can fix it cheaper than a new stove that would be great! Thx again

Old 11-23-11, 10:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You probably had a weak ignitor that wasn't getting hot enough to open the gas valve reliably and light the gas.

Often a weak ignitor will fail completely, at which point the oven wont turn on at all.

Banging on the range while the ignitor was hot might have broken it, but I wouldn't blame you for that absent better information and it was a defective part anyway!

As a furnace and gas appliance repairman, I had better methods than bashing the appliance to effect repairs. On cars though, I find a good bashing is often worth a try!

Old 11-23-11, 02:01 PM
B
Thx for the info.Banging on things that are broke do seem to be a solution for me but usually like u said I end up breaking them eventually.