Oven Exterior is UNGODLY Hot

Old 11-25-11, 10:44 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Oven Exterior is UNGODLY Hot

Hi,

I just bought a Whirlpool WFG231LVS and when we bake in it, the exterior of the oven is UNGODLY hot. If you touch it, you will burn yourself. An oven can make a kitchen get hotter, but this oven made our kitchen climb to unbearable temperatures on Thanksgiving. We had to open all the windows to offset the heat from the stove.

Why is it doing this??? Is this normal? The place I bought it from said they will not let us exchange it or return it which I think is wrong; Wish we would have dealt with Sears instead of a local company.

Help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-11, 11:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Assuming you bought a new stove, I'd contact Whirlpool. The store might not be helpful but the stove would still have a warranty.

Old 11-25-11, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 113 Votes on 88 Posts
Just to say, Sears would've given you the same response. Stores have different policies when it comes to large appliances these days.

Old 11-25-11, 02:03 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Safety issues will usually get quick attention as they are high risk for them being liable, and, if they ignore you or fail to respond properly, their risk increases.

As Marksr said, go straight to whirlpool, but document everything you have done and do in this process. The old saying of take names and kick bottoms is applicable here.

As for what is wrong, if it is just the door in front, I suspect they forgot or improperly installed some insulation. I'm assuming it cooked fine for you when in use.

Bud

Old 11-25-11, 03:05 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you can buy, beg or borrow an infrared non-contact thermometer take a temperature reading of the door after a half hour of operation. Just as an example here are some from Harbor Freight. Non-Contact Infrared Laser Thermometer

Old 11-25-11, 05:07 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Safety issues will usually get quick attention as they are high risk for them being liable, and, if they ignore you or fail to respond properly, their risk increases.

As Marksr said, go straight to whirlpool, but document everything you have done and do in this process. The old saying of take names and kick bottoms is applicable here.

As for what is wrong, if it is just the door in front, I suspect they forgot or improperly installed some insulation. I'm assuming it cooked fine for you when in use.

Bud
Yes, it cooked just fine, but the door and sides were extremely hot. The back was also pretty hot too.

I guess I'll just contact Whirlpool cause the local guy here says it's not his problem.

Old 11-25-11, 06:27 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
As suggested above, try to get a temperature reading. Even if you just held a meat thermometer against the door with a pot holder, you could get some reading and your would have a minimum number.

Bud