frigidaire range knob hard to turn

Old 11-26-11, 07:11 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
frigidaire range knob hard to turn

hello all. i have been searching for an answer to this problem and cannot find one so hopefully someone here can help!

i live in an apartment so i am not sure of the model number for the range. it is a free standing frigidaire white gas range. there is no digital panel or clock and the oven is controlled by a single knob that needs to be pushed in slightly to turn. today, i was distracted when turning the oven off and it seemed a bit difficult to turn off and i think i may have forced it into the off position. the knob is still decompressed and hasn't popped back out. the oven is actually off (i was able to remove the knob to check to make sure the stem was in the right position). i can still turn the knob however it has to be pushed in very hard in order to turn out of the off position. once it is out of the off position, it moves easily and i can hear the stove click on and click off again when it returns to the off position. the knob came off pretty easily as well and does not appear to be damaged in any way. i'm going to be bringing the knob to a hardware store to see if that's the problem but i'm worried i may have damaged something else. any thoughts/suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-11, 11:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's an old range and the grease that lubricates the oven thermostat and allows it to turn has failed. Call the manager ---if they are smart they will replace the range rather than horsing around with it.

YOU haven't done anything wrong, but if you try to repair it very likely you will damage the thermostat in a way that the management might yip about. So let it be their worry --- that's why you are paying rent.

A lot of resident managers fancy themselves repairmen and might try making repairs on the oven thermostat. I think that's a waste of time, but they might try it anyway. It's unlikely they are going to be able to disassemble the thermostat gas valve enough to regrease the thermostat, so whatever they try is likely to fail again.

You might want to double check to be sure that there is a gas valve behind the range you can shut off if things go bad, and that the valve will turn and isn't also stuck in place for lack of lubrication, a fairly common problem.

Old 11-27-11, 06:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Regardless of who owns the appliance, you being a renter or owner, what you need to do for the condition described is your doing nothing but notify the building manager, maintenence person(s) or owner. Whomever you can or are suppose to notify for such problems. Do nothing yourself. And oven temperature control is a complicated part that only a professional should attempt to repair or replace.

Most likely the control has a core valve. Grease, special type for the purpose, has dried out over the years. Very common in older appliance controls and oven controls. Failure to correctly disassemble, lube and reassemble the T-Stat will cause problems you have never imagined nor would you want to. Best to let a professional do it.

In some areas of some states, the local gas suppliers/companies provide limited mechanical services such as lubing appliance control valves. Ask about such services.