Glenwood Gas range thermostat

Old 11-27-11, 09:27 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Glenwood Gas range thermostat

I have a 1930's Glenwood Gas stove and the oven thermostat is hard to control. I'd like to get it rebuilt or replaced, but I can't even FIND it! Can anyone help? It is not behind the temp knob.
There is a guy that is willing to put in a new elec thermostat because he says that is what is required now days. Any ideas?

Old 11-27-11, 06:42 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Old 11-27-11, 07:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are a number of outfits that rebuild old gas range thermostats. Since you no doubt dote on your old range, I'd seriously consider that before some kind of modern replacement.

I'd be glad to hear about the history and condition of your stove and your plans for it if you care to relate the story.

Old 11-28-11, 06:28 AM
G
Thanks for the quick response.. I will check ou that site. GG

Old 11-28-11, 07:34 AM
G
Hi Pioneer, Thanks for the reply. When I had my home built 15 years ago I remembered seeing this stove in a home that I showed while selling real estate. I called the new owner and asked if they still had it and they said they would sell it! I was pretty excited and had a propane tank put in my new home for it. I have been dealing with the erratic oven since and have been looking for someone to try to adjust the tstat without any luck. I am kind of handy so would like to get the tstat rebuilt or replaced. I can't even find it. I have also been trying to find a manual for it "Glenwood SU 318" it was made near me in Taunton, Mass in the 30's. I have to light the oven with a match/lighter as there is no pilot. The guy that is going to put in the "safety system" says he HAS to do that because if he removes the thermostat it will be illegal if he doesn't put in the new type of system. I don't care about being legal, but he does of course. I figure that I used it for 15 years and the lady before me used it for over 60 years! Anyway, thats my story.

Old 11-28-11, 05:24 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
A safety is always recommended, however since this is original equipment (OEM) does it need to be upgraded? I don't know the answer just a question.

Old 11-28-11, 05:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Some old ranges didn't have thermostats --- you simply match lit the oven burner and adjusted the size to whatever level suited you. I lived in a place that had that kind of range at one time.

Ranges that came along a few years later were match lit but did have thermostats which adjusted the size of the flame automatically.

You might have that kind of range.

If you want to post some pictures of your range and the burners/thermostat we might help you better determine wghat you have.

Id there a dial for the oven that is calibrated in degrees?

Old 12-02-11, 06:33 PM
B
Do you have a picture?
We just bought a house with a 1930's gas Glenwood Deluxe. I've not seen any pictures of the same stove but it looks fairly similar to a Glenwood Ourway without the shelves over the burners and no bun warmer over the oven. The thermostat is a Robertshaw AutomatiCook model K. It slides into the oven from the burner side. It is held in by one long bolt on the lower left side. It was VERY easy to disassemble and clean. Only a few parts and nothing fancy.

Bruce

Old 12-17-11, 06:39 AM
G
Glenwood Gas stove tstat

Hello and thank you, I have still been trying to find additional info before I have that guy come over to put in an electric gizmo on my stove.
I have taken a few pics to get feedback.. hope I can attach them. I cannot see anything inside the stove and the knob is a Robertshaw automaticook.. maybe an "F" ?
(I am an old gal and can't seem to figure out how to send along my pics.. the directions refer to URL, etc. my pic is on a floppy! Thats my easiest camera )
Bruce, maybe you can show me your pics. "It slides in from the Burner side" - burners are on top (of course) - what does that mean?

Old 12-17-11, 06:44 AM
G
Oh, if you send me your e mail add I know I can include a pic that way. I am at Pneary7@aol.com

Old 03-20-12, 01:28 PM
B
Hi Goingray,
I'm STILL looking for parts for my stove and just this past weekend discovered that there is a vent in the back of the stove over which someone has loosely wired a metal tin box (without the lid) about 8" long and cut in half vertically !!!! Definitely need to figure out what SHOULD be there and get that fixed.

But to the point, I JUST saw your post from December, I guess I got lost and forgot to check back on the DoItYourself forum.
I've linked a picture of my stove so you can compare and we can see if we might even have the same or similar unit.
I'll try to remember to take a picture of the Robertshaw thermostat since it doesn't show well in that picture.

My comment regarding the thermostat going in from the burner side, yes, on my stove at least, it slides into the side of the oven from the burner side of the range. It isn't obvious in the picture but it is to the right of the red kettle near the top of the oven. I have seen pictures of other Glenwood models that have the thermostat going in the other side. Those seem to be the ones with the doors hinged on the side rather than the bottom, like mine, but that doesn't mean that is a hard and fast rule.

I found a PDF format doc for part of the Glenwood stove manual. It talks about adjusting the oven burners. Sadly, the actual numbers, like flame height, got scrambled when it was scanned so I had to guess at that.
Here is the link: Retro Gas Stoves Insulated Glenwood Instructions - www.GoodTimeStove.com
Note that the thermostat pictured is NOT the one I have on my stove so the adjusting instructions probably don't apply.

In looking for the doc again so I could post the link, I found this site that suggests they may be able to rebuild your Robertshaw if it is broken:
Carbon Rod Regulators or Thermostats
On that page, my thermostat looks like the "Robertshaw Oven Heat Control (K)"

With respect to posting a picture, I guess this forum only allows web page links. I linked a page from my Google Picasa pages

I found this picture of a similar thermostat removed from a stove so you have an idea what you are looking at:

Old 07-08-12, 06:32 PM
B
Match light ovens

Earlier in this thread the question was asked if an oven did not come with a pilot or a safety is it grandfathered? Does it need to have one? Well base on my training, my gas licenses in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and Mass, along with NFPA 54 (the nation code standard govorning this issue) match light oven are no longer permitted to remain connected to a gas system. Some techs choose to ignore this code but it is putting both thier client and themselves in perrill and in violation of the law. Now I can tell you this has been a law for some years, howeven I cannot speak for what the other 46 states are doing. You see even though the NFPA is the national standard they are upgraded every two years and each state will adopt the new revisions at some point after the changes, and it is up to the individual state to adopt or not. Again the four state I work in alll HAVE adopted these standards however Mass is the slowest of all to follow suit. They are still working from the 2006 version while here in my home state of New Hampshire we have adopted the 2012 version. I can imagine that all states will do the same because of the undefencabale position of not following the nation standards when called into court due to an incident. I know a thing or two about that issue in light of my 32 years of experience and 13 year as a Popane Emergency First responder. I have been in cases that drag out for years over such details.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: