Magic Chef oven will not light

Old 11-30-11, 08:01 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Magic Chef oven will not light

I have a Magic Chef (Maytag Appliances) stove running on propane. The oven burner has long been a problem but now will not light. The element appears to get hot enough for ignition but no gas is present. The stove top burners are fine and the broiler is working. In the past I was sometimes able to preheat a little with the broiler and get the oven to light but this trick no longer works. I have visually inspected the wiring and removed and cleaned the burner. The stove is about 15 years old. Any thoughts and/or advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-11, 07:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm presuming you have a hot surface ignitor that glows to light the main burner gas.

It's common for these to get weak and fail to get hot enough to turn on the gas.

The ignitor and the gas valve are in series with each other and 120 VAC is applied across the ignitor first and then the oven gas valve. This causes a voltage drop across the ignitor, and when the ignitor get hot the voltage drop decreases which increases the voltage across the gas valve. When the ignitor gets hot enough, the valve opens allowing the gas to flow and light off the HSI.

Very likely the ignitor is weak and not getting hot enough to allow the valve to open. You could switch ignitors with the broiler to test this if you like.