Outdoor gas lamp problems

Old 12-02-11, 01:25 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor gas lamp problems

I recently purchased a home with a gas light. It was not in use for many years. I am getting gas to the light but the mantles(numerous ) keep blowing out...literally. When the gas lights it actually will blow a hole through the bottom of a brand new mantle. I have installed the mantles and pre burned them with the gas off then tried to light and this is what is happening. It is also a struggle to even get them lit at all. What should I be looking at to get this fixed? Am I not getting enough gas/to much gas? Airflow messed up? I am not sure where to start

Old 12-02-11, 06:39 PM
C
Correct. I finally was able to get it to light. It is VERY dim unless I move the(already screwed up mantles) closer to the flame. The only way to get a decent light is to clog one of the sides then the other side will burn decent and not blow out. I can not figure out how to get the Burner off to clean it. It will actually rotate completly around including the valve to turn it on and off?

ANy ideas?

Old 12-03-11, 12:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Probably the pilot orifice is rusted or dirty and needs to be cleaned. The pilot orifice meter out the gas and forms it into a jet to be burned. It's probably a very small hole and you would need to replace it if it wont clean up.

If you post some pictures I might be able to give some ideas on how to take the burner apart.

Old 12-04-11, 07:17 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: cbryan70

Maybe and hopefully I can assist you. My assumption is the gas light is permanently mounted on a post some distance from the house. Post is usually black and there is an underground gas supply line. If all the above is correct, then we have correctly identified the appliance. Hopefully so and hopefully you will reply back that all the above is correct.

Your posted descriptive info pertaining to the gas light is slightly vague in details. There are usually two different varieties of gas lights. Portable and stationary. Those that are permanently post mounted have an internal regulator that often become weatherized and react differently based upon ambient temperatures.

Here is a trick that might work. Remove all the glass panes. Remove mantels. I suspect there are two mantels but some gas lights only have one. QUESTION. How many mantels does your light have? Sounds like a minor detail but it does matter to know.

With all glass panes and mantle(s) removed, turn gas on fully and allow gas to come out for a few seconds. DO NOT ignite the gas at this point in time. Then turn off gas. Allow time for gas inside lights frame to disperse. Install new mantels but do not burn them into ash at this time.

Use the screw driver to slightly open the set screw while holding lit match near side of mantel. Intent here is to light a small flame initially so as not to burn a hole in mantel. Once mantel catches fires and a small flame appears inside the mantel SLOWLY open screw that controls gas flow. Idea here is to slowly heat up the mantel while releasing a lower volume of gas into mantel.

Be aware that it may not be possible to immediately have a full burner flame inside the mantel until everything heats up and the gas pressure decreases to the pre-set amount. May take a few seconds for pressure reduction while you slowly increase gas input to maintain the flame. Intent is not to blow a hole in mantel.

Kindly advise if I am correct about type of gas light and number of mantels. Some gas lights many have 4 mantels. Rare but there are a few I have seen and worked on. Sure glad out our way here we did away with them.... Nasty to work with.......and time consuming to get working......even for a pro. Good Luck....

Old 10-27-12, 06:31 AM
F
Same Issue here!

I am glad I found this forum and help with my outdoor gas lantern as well as other things.

I have the stationary/permanent black gas lantern with two mantles. I have tried multiple times to light and have not had any success. I think gas is not getting to the lantern. I have turned the valve on at the gas meter Atmos (Gas Company) said is the one for the lantern but no dice. I've tried it turned parallel and perpendicular.

A few questions:
Is the gas valve similar to a water main valve which only requires a half turn or is it more like a water spigot that requires multiple turns to "open".

Is it normal or reverse thread? (lefty loosey rightey tightey...??spelling??)

Would mantles from the sporting good store for a Coleman lantern for example be sufficient or are there special mantles for gas lanterns?

Can the underground gas line to the lantern be corroded and leaking gas? I removed entire housing and turned valve a half turn and did not smell/hear gas coming out. If possibly corroded is there a way to test DIY style?

The pipe or oraphace tube (sounds right) is rusted but when removed I am able to blow air through it kinda ok...it is a really small hole that the gas goes through...should this be ok?

The little pipes that hang down from the pilot assembly that the mantle assembly attaches to were loose should these be tight? If so how tight hand or pipe wrench tight?

Finally the set screw on the side of the lantern post I'm assuming controls the flow of gas to the lantern, is it a half turn valve meaning parallel fully open perpendicular fully closed or is it more you turn the more it opens? Could these go bad or need spring etc...replaced?

Hopefully I'll get a response from this as I would really love to get this wonderful outdoor feature going.

Old 10-27-12, 09:36 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello foyaboya and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

As far as gas lights are concerned, there are few industry standards best as I recall. Haven't worked on one in many moons (Years).

What is often common is basic operation. The gas control set screw on the light is very often a quarter turn one way or another either full on or full off. Might be marked ON or OFF or might not have a marked on or off setting or it may have deteriorated over time and not be readable or even visible any longer.

You'll need to turn the set screw or whatever is used to turn on the gas and listen closely for escaping gas. If all cannot be heard in either setting or turned direction, providing gas to light is on and regulator working properly, you can hold a lit match slightly below the orifice where gas comes out of and turn the screw one way and then the other if needed to determine if gas is coming out or it might be air purging out. Watch the flame on the match to determine if anything causes flame to flicker etc.

Be aware to determine any or either in the above may take a short while and you're likely going to have to use several matches while allowing time to determine what is or isn't taking place.

As far as a valve at the meter is concerned, a separate gas line at the meter, located on the right side of meter (outlet side or house line side) is common. This applies ONLY to natural gas. NOT propane. Mentioned so other reads fully understand we are referring to Nat gas and not propane here. Very important not to confuse to which gas all this applies to.

On that separate gas supply line to gas light, usually a small diameter 1/2 inch pipe size, should be a shut off (isolation) valve at the meter. Valve on/off setting is Across the pipe is the off position. In line with the pipe is the On position. Some isolation valves turn only in one direction. Be sure you do not force the valve in the wrong direction!!! Valve breakage will result.

Once the valve on the supply gas line to gas light is in the on position, whether gas is getting to gas light is another whole matter. You can slightly loosen a fitting at or inside the gas light and listen for flow. if valve at meter is turned into the ON position gas flow should be heard at the light. If not, valve might be off or line obstructed or blocked, leaking before gas light, etc.

If at such above pertains to or with a gas lights supply pipe, usually underground, it is NOT a Do It Yourself task or project. However or what ever term or phrase is used. Repeat. NOT something suggested nor recommended as a do it yourself repair. A licensed gas line plumbing company or plumber is required. Codes apply and safety measures are of the highest concerns here.

When there is any doubts, be sure the valve at the meter is turned OFF before you leave. Never leave that valve on if there is doubts, concerns or any smell of gas anywhere between meter and gas light, at meter or at gas light that you cannot control or do not know where it is coming from exactly.

Finally
the set screw on the side of the lantern post I'm assuming controls the flow of gas to the lantern, is it a half turn valve meaning parallel fully open perpendicular fully closed or is it more you turn the more it opens?
YES. Set screw controls gas but only to gas lights mantels. Not the entire gas light (lantern)
YES. Valve direction. Read above directional control of gas ON and/or OFF positions.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Old 12-04-12, 04:48 PM
D
We recently bought a home that has an outdoor gas lamp. When we first got here last week the lamp was burning 24 hours a day. I called our Electric/Gas company and they came out to inspect it, familiar with the home and its previous owner. The man suggested to save money I have him turn it off from the gas line. Last night we smelled gas in the basement and called the electric/gas company and they came out to do an emergency sniff test. There was no gas leak but we need some work. Needless to say, the man who came last night said it wouldn't be costly to run the lamp and we just needed to turn the gas line to the lamp back on. We turned the switch for the gas to the lamp, yet now...the lamp will not light. He said that was all we had to do for up to about a year before we would need someone to come out to light it for us. Is there something I am missing?

Old 12-08-12, 03:47 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Dani and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

Good Grief. Excuse me for the long delay posting a reply...

You posted your question to an exisiting post as a reply instead of making a new post. Additionally, the original is already a year old.......

You said:
Needless to say, the man who came last night said it wouldn't be costly to run the lamp and we just needed to turn the gas line to the lamp back on.
...???....

Back on is exactly oposite of what needs to be done to save gas. Gas light valve needs to be turned OFF. Not ON......to save gas.

You said:
He said that was all we had to do for up to about a year before we would need someone to come out to light it for us.
All you had to do is WHAT??? Explain please.

You said:
Is there something I am missing?
YEP. Answers to above to clarify statements. Also read my replies # 4 and # 6 above. Applies to what you're issue is...

Use the REPLY button once again since your questions is already posted into this thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: