Changing LPG cooktop: plumbing/regulator question

Old 12-05-11, 06:53 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing LPG cooktop: plumbing/regulator question

Hi all,
I use LPG to run my gas cooktop.
This is the only gas appliance in the house.
The propane tank is a 100lbs (24 gallon) tank.
The regulator mounted on this tank is set up for an output pressure of 11 inches water column (11" wc). So, the pressure at the shutoff valve under the cooktop is 11"wc.

The existing gas cooktop has it's own appliance regulator (straight-thru) at the appliance input location. This cooktop needs 11"wc input. In this case, what does the straight-thru appliance regulator do when both the input and output are 11"wc?

The new cooktop DOES NOT come with an appliance regulator! I bought it overseas. It requires the input pressure to be 11"wc. Since the pressure at the shutoff is 11"wc, can I directly connect an appliance hose from the inside shutoff location to the new cooktop? In other words, is a missing appliance regulator (which seems to be by design) going to be a problem?

Thanks
A

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-11, 04:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello AlexWoods and Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

The reason why the existing appliance has it's own regulator is because the assumption is made by the USA manufacturer there are other appliances connected into the supply line. Not just a single appliance, as you're describing. As a result the supplied pressure would be about double what it currently is as it would be with natural gas.

Natural gas supply pressure is between 7 to 10 inches W/C. Enough to supply several natural gas appliances. Each natural gas appliances has it's own regulator to reduce the supply pressure to 3.5 inches W/C.

Therefore, the appliance regulator would reduce the supply pressure to about half of what it currently is. In your instance, the supply is already set to the correct amount. 11 inches water column. No additional appliance regulator required so long as there is only one appliance in the supply line. Like a backyard BBQ. One appliance and one regulator.

Bottom line, you can install the new cook top directly to the supply and should have no problems. So long as that supply line does not need to supply any more then the one appliance.

Be aware, I am not a propane tech. My logic comes from years of dealing with natural gas. Therefore, I make the assumption propane works the same as natural gas. Could be slightly off in y thinking but doubt it. Hopefully there is a propane tech on the site whom may verify or refute my advice. Either way is okay so long as you get the correct information to a very valid question.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Old 12-07-11, 11:06 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sharp Advice,
Thank you for the reply. Good to know that there is no need for a redundant appliance regulator for my cooktop that has a dedicated propane source already set at 11 wc.

I hooked it up and it fired up fine with nice blue flames. So far so good.

Next, I will need to check with my insurance company about using an appliance that has a safety certification that is not by UL.