Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Gas< Kitchen Appliances, Dryers and BBQ's
Reload this Page >

Whirlpool LGR4634EQ2 Gas Dryer smells something burning and stopped with humming

Whirlpool LGR4634EQ2 Gas Dryer smells something burning and stopped with humming

Old 01-23-12, 02:10 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Hello
We have Whirlpool Gas Dryer (LGR4634EQ2). It stopped working with humming noise and also something burning smell. Can someone suggest Where should I start looking. Few things come to my mind is
1. Changing the belt
2. Is there some FUse which might be bad
3. Ignitor

Please suggest where should I start looking....

Old 01-23-12, 02:59 PM
S
Just to Confirm.. The burning smell is rubber burning smell

Old 01-24-12, 06:20 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello s2kfixit and Welcome into the Gas Appliances topic.

If the smell is rubber or similar to rubber, could be a binding up drum belt. You'll need to remove some access panel(s) and look for evidence of excessive wear and or burner marks on the belt and everywhere else within the machine.

Also check the vent tubing behind the dryer. Might be the plastic venting tube if it is linted inside. Should be replaced with metal solid or metal flex while the machine is being repaired and or inspected for internal damage, etc.

Until you inspect the inside of the machine, where the smell might be coming from is speculation. In your best interests to determine the cause and get it corrected asap. Fire is the potential damage.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Post back the findings and results too, Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always advisable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance and or repairs.

Old 01-24-12, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
UNPLUG DRYER FIRST
Reach into dryer and try to turn drum. If stuck or turns very free you need to follow directions here.
Take out lint screen and remove 2 screws there. Take a stiff putty knife and slide it between the top and front panel near the side and pry up on each side. Top will pop off clips holding down.(may have to use a little force) lift top up and lean back. look inside at front panel and find 2 screws holding on (near top on sides) pull up on front panel and will come off. Careful of wires to door unplug wires or just put it to the side. Hope this helps
If you take drum out try to turn motor by hand If it does not turn you either have a bad motor or something stuck in blower wheel. To check blower wheel you need to take back off and lint tube.

Old 01-27-12, 11:17 AM
S
Findings and Suggestions

REPLY:-
Thanks for your help .
I was able to find that the Vent was not clear so I changed the Vent and Dryer ran fine. But there was still a squeeky noise. After 2 days the dryer again stopped. While more research I found that the Squeeky noise is coming from Vent Fan (after removing the back panel) and when I removed the Vent (metal tube) Fan is not running smooth. Meaning I tried to turn around the fan with hand but it made squeeky noise and the surface (fan blades and other parts) are lot of humid.
How do I clean the Fan to make it smooth or what can be done?
Please help.

Originally Posted by Sharp Advice
Hello s2kfixit and Welcome into the Gas Appliances topic.

If the smell is rubber or similar to rubber, could be a binding up drum belt. You'll need to remove some access panel(s) and look for evidence of excessive wear and or burner marks on the belt and everywhere else within the machine.

Also check the vent tubing behind the dryer. Might be the plastic venting tube if it is linted inside. Should be replaced with metal solid or metal flex while the machine is being repaired and or inspected for internal damage, etc.

Until you inspect the inside of the machine, where the smell might be coming from is speculation. In your best interests to determine the cause and get it corrected asap. Fire is the potential damage.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Post back the findings and results too, Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always advisable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance and or repairs.

Old 01-28-12, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Blower connects directly to motor, When you turn blower you are turning motor and drum. Most times when that dryer makes a squeaky noise it needs a idler pulley.

Old 02-04-12, 09:13 AM
S
Hi,
Thanks for the response.
Here is what I did , Took out the drum, Disconnected the Blower fan from the Motor. As I am turning the Motor shaft it still makes squeeky noise. I think motor runs fine (assumption) but can I spray some wd40 so it lubricates and does not make squeeky noise? or what can I do to put in like grease or something to lubricate and avoid the squeeky noise.?
Please help.
Thanks,

Old 02-04-12, 01:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Squeaky noise is most likely bearing and not replaceable or able to lube.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: