Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Gas< Kitchen Appliances, Dryers and BBQ's
Reload this Page >

New Samsung FX710BGS Natural Gas Range with strange side effect after broiling??

New Samsung FX710BGS Natural Gas Range with strange side effect after broiling??

Old 02-11-12, 02:21 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know how else to word the title. Got this new range, love it except has a possible quirky problem. Per installation manual, I made sure all my flames were a nice tight blue - range top, oven, & broiler indicating a normal burning clean natural gas supply - which I did. Only when and after broiling a steak, the range "top" flames start burning mostly orange til the next day but the broiler is inside the oven??? So, I understand, the spatter from the fat of the steak could turn the oven broiler flames different colors but strange thing is, after I'm done broiling (did it twice already) all of the range "top" flames appear to be a loose orange. All I can figure is there is some shared gas supply that also feeds the burners and some of the spattering fat gets sucked in there or a valve that get's hot from the broiler temperature and malfunctions. Per samsung, I should contact my gas supplier. Over the phone customer service can't seem to comprehend that my natural gas house heater and water heater are burning crisp blue flames during this period. Also that for 2 weeks, before using the broiler, I always had clean blue flames from the cooktop. I just want to understand if this is normal or a defect but I can't get a good answer.. Their install guide says anything but blue flames for natural gas is abnormal and not to use the stove and call for service but the rep didn't want to send their tech - only for me to call the gas company. Anybody familiar with this?

Last edited by shorecat99; 02-11-12 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-13-12, 07:59 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello: shorecat99

Condition has nothing to do with installation, gas supply, etc. Very likely the oven/broiler exhaust is near or above top burners. What is in the exhaust fumes is causing the slightly orange flames. Residue from prior broiling left on the burners can create same condition, etc. As can invisible dust stirred up in the area of the burners, etc. Condition is normal. Nothing to be concerned about IMO.

Old 02-18-12, 04:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with that Sharp Advice you already have.

Orange flames are usually characteristic of some contamination of the primary air supply to the burners, usually drawn in through the air shutters near the burner orifices.

Usually this is caused by dust, and with most gas burners banging on the burners while they are lit loosens up dust which is then entrained in the combustion air, producing yellow flames.

It sounds like you are getting some grease of some kind that may be producing the same effect. Very likely all the burners are being exposed to these grease droplets and thus being affected.

Incandescent white flames in most gas burners are a problem that requires attention. White flames can produce soot and carbon monoxide and be a hazard.

Orange flames are typically not a hazard. But this is not to be regarded as any kind of guarantee or warrentee, just a general observation on gas equipment which might or might not apply to your situation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: