Kenmore gas oven works intermittently

Old 01-15-01, 10:50 AM
Visiting Guest
When I turn my gas oven on, about 50% of the time the glowbar comes on and the oven lights. The other times I turn on the oven and the glowbar fails to glow and the oven fails to operate. What could be causing this? A faulty switch or timer? Thanks!

Old 01-15-01, 07:18 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hi:mudfish007

The thermostat is the first control to sent the current out. However, if the control panel has any otptional settings like time bake, etc. any one of those switches could be all or part of the problem.

Another possibility could be a loose or bad electrical connection. You'll have to disconnect the electrical power to the appliance and begin testing. A continuity test light works well for this operation of testing.

The first place to start checking is the thermostat. Then follow the wires and test all connections and switches for connection when switched on. Also test the fuse and the wires connected to it.

It could also be the gas valve. You'll have to test for continuity there also. During this entire process you may need to write down the findings and then double check everything to be positive of the findings prior to replacing any parts.

Electrical componets can also be removed and tested by the local retail appliance parts store where you'll need to buy parts anyway.

If your not going to attempt this yourself, ask for help from someone whom you know. Should you not want to go thru this proceedure, contact the local appliance service company.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: