Kenmore dryer drums starts spinning but stops after about 5 seconds

Old 05-07-12, 06:39 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore dryer drums starts spinning but stops after about 5 seconds

I have a coin operated Kenmore Gas dryer about 7 years old, that starts OK with the drum spinning in all heat settings, but it stops after just 5 seconds, as if some switch got tripped. After a short wait, it can be started again but with the same result. What should I look for ?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-12, 06:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello hitechseeker and Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

I would suspect there is a binding up of the drum. High rolling resistance which overheats the motor causing the motor to shut down for a cooling off period of time. Or the motor itself internally has a defect in the windings or worn brushes, etc.

Might be a restriction in the venting system shutting dryer down as a result of burner compartment overheating. Another possible cause is the blower cage not working or turning to slowly. Meaning a low air flow causing over heating.

Not all that familiar with the coin operation but since it has a timer check that component for defects, etc.

Read The Dryer Help Information Sticky Note In This Forum Topic. here:

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always advisable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, replacement and or repairs.

Sears Appliance Parts & Repair:
Sears Home Page:
Sears: Appliances, Tools, Electronics, Apparel and more from Craftsman, Kenmore, Diehard and other Leading Brands.

Sears Search By Model Number Page:
http://www3.sears.com

Whirlpool's Home Web Site: (Also makes appliances for Sears)
Whirlpool | Kitchen, Laundry & Home Appliances

Old 05-09-12, 09:30 PM
H
I tried turning the drum by hand and it seems relatively free. It stops on cold or hot selection. I suspect that its something in the motor. But how do I diagnose a faulty motor. I can get a new one but then Sears will not let me return it. I there an overload or thermal fuse inside the motor assembly ?

Old 05-10-12, 07:53 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: hitechseeker

Very likely the vent duct is restricted or the flapper valve in the exhaust hood does not open or open fully. Yes. Both an overload or thermal fuse inside the machine. Thermal fuse on top of burner shield and overload safety inside motor.

What you need to do is check each possible cause. Ducting first. Blower fan and cage area next. Venting inside machine then outside back of machine ducting then exhaust hood. Nothing gets accomplished asking more questions or suspecting more possible causes. It's a process of checking and elimination of possible causes. Do all that and then reply back with the findings and details.

READ the dryer sticky note also. That contains about every possible problem and all the possible solutions. Good Luck.

Old 05-15-12, 10:42 PM
H
Sharp advice,
Thank you very much for your help.
I did some further investigation and found that the drum rolled ,more easier in one direction than another. Eventually I found the wheel near the bottom corner to be worn and defective. I will replace it tomorrow. However, I was wondering if I should replace other parts at he same time ?

Old 05-16-12, 06:49 AM
Admin Emeritus

I was wondering if I should replace other parts at he same time?
Can't say exactly what parts(s) you should replace or not replace. Your choice. Can suggest checking blower cage, motor speed and drum belt. If there is one damaged drum roller wheel, likely need to replace both or all. Your choice.

I can suggest you first check the venting system inside the dryer and every aspect of the external venting system before replacing parts. You have not replied back doing so thus far. That's important. Venting systems might just be restricted or clogged causing problems and not any part(s.) Again, your choice.

Drum is suppose to rotate in only one direction more freely then in the opposite direction. Normal condition. Belt rotates on a spring loaded roller that might be checked also. Not often does that roller wheel need attention. Works or it doesn't work but worth a check of all parts once inside the dryers cabinet.

Best advice. Checking the complete venting system before suspecting parts. A common error made by a diy'er. Replacing parts that are not needed.

Old 05-17-12, 06:36 AM
H
Thanks for your advice. I have ordered kit of parts -- rollers, belt, pulley. These will arrive by weekend or Monday. The inside of the dryer had a lot of debris ( lint or "dust"). I plan to clean it all out again before install the new part. One of the rollers ( bottom one) had the rubber coming off the body, so it will probably benefit from being replaced. I ma not sure how to check the motor speed. Is this done by disconnecting the belt and running motor without load ?

Old 11-09-12, 07:04 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: sdanville.

In regards to the problem you're having with your dryer and described rather well in another post, same advice is below. Recopied from my original reply in that reply post back to you in another thread. None of the problems you're having with your dryer are included here either... so other members can also learn from it as well. Oh Well. Moving forward anyway.

The problem and/or condition you're describing may be caused by the thermal heat sensor located on top of the burner flames hood shield. This item hood shield is the cover around the burner flame. On it is a flame sensor that shuts off the burner if the burner flames are not pointing directly down the shield.

If the flames are weak and or not blown directly down wards in the shield around the burner, usually indicates a weak air flow can be caused by several different conditions described below.

A slow blower motor rotation speed, restricted exhaust internal at the blowers cage wheel, outside vent hoods flapper vent trap door that does not open (stuck shut) or fully open and/or the heat sensor in the venting system inside the dryer. Usually an over heat sensor (in the dryers internal venting system inside the dryer) is located in or on the sheet metal exhaust vent discharge tube just before the warm air exists the back of the dryer.

Additional Info In Dryer Sticky Note: HERE

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Old 11-17-12, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,030 Votes on 956 Posts
misterno..... any particular reason why you posted a mini fridge ad in the middle of a thread on clothes dryer repairs.

Forum Moderator and Monitors Note:
PJmax
Member misterno post has been removed from this thread.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 11-17-12 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-17-12, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
misterno was a spammer from Bosnia....same link as a prior banned spammer.

Old 11-17-12, 10:15 AM
Admin Emeritus

I ma not sure how to check the motor speed. Is this done by disconnecting the belt and running motor without load ?
:NO NO NO:

First things first diagnosing problems.

IMO once you have replaced all worn parts, especially both drum rollers, cleaned out all lint everywhere, insured venting system, including vent hoods flapper vent door, is unrestricted and entire venting system is functioning properly, etc there should be another test done.

Reasoning is all that you will be doing and then have done is more then likely to resolve all issues and or conditions of prior problems with drum, etc.

Then, should any problems still exist not as a result of improperly installing any new parts, we can diagnose and or test motor speed(s) etc. Point is not to get way ahead of ourselves. As I am suspecting might be happening here.

One step done at a time. Best not to think ahead nor make any assumptions what it could be or maybe before hand. IMO.