Kenmore Elite gas dryer won't stay lit

Old 07-07-12, 01:52 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Elite gas dryer won't stay lit

OK so we converted to NAT recently and I grabbed two Kenmore Elite dryers off CL and neither is working out but my primary issue is with the 2nd one I got. To my aging eyes it looks like model number is 110 70932990. Not sure what series that is.

I did read some faqs and posts and it seems like solenoid? or flame detector are the most likely. When you start it you can hear the gas light off and it does get hot but the flame sounds like it's struggling and hasn't fully caught. After a couple minutes it goes out. Timed dry nothing ever dries. Sensor dry it will go from MORE DRY all the way down and shut itself off in a few minutes.

I did take the top off and blow everything out really well with compressed air before I installed it. The duct is a short run and clear. Just goes up the wall and out.

Any thoughts before I start taking this thing apart? I know a teeny bit about gas appliances but have never worked on a dryer before.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-12, 04:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Sound like you need the coils. Dryer heats first time and than won't heat again until shut off for awhile.

Old 07-21-12, 07:06 PM
S
OK I finally got back to this. Opened up the front panel and observed operation for a bit. I'm not sure it's the solenoids, although it seems as if you should just replace those as maintenance.

Everything is firing up fine. If you put it on low or medium heat the flame will cycle on/off with no problem several times. I did not test longer than that. Flame seems to stay on about 27 seconds each time and be off for a minute or so.

If you put it on HIGH heat it will run for about 30 seconds and then EVERYTHING will shut off. Not just the gas, but the drum and all. Stone dead. Hit the start button again and she'll fire back up for another 30 seconds and then completely shut down again.

Safety device cutting in early? Something in the control board? What would cause the whole thing to shut down and not just the gas valve?

Edit - ran it for a good ten minutes on medium with no problem. Relay click - Igniter glow - relay click - Igniter out/flame lights - again and again.

Went from medium to high while still running. Flame came on for about 60 seconds and then the dryer complete shut down again. Kind of hard to dry clothes that way!

Certainly seems electrical and not gas related. The question is, is it a simple sensor or something major in the control board?

EDIT #2. Does not seem like a bad motor or cycling stat as they both run fine for long periods on moderate heat. Just seems like an early high temp cut off OR maybe it is getting too hit and doing the right thing by shutting everything down....

Last edited by speedy72; 07-21-12 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-21-12, 07:51 PM
S
I think last post on this tonight. Perhaps a moderator can change the thread title to "won't stay lit OR running"

I bypassed what I believe is the high limit switch and same thing. Ran for about 60 seconds from dead cold and then just shut down. Not sure what other thermal safety mechanisms may be in there. It does have one hell of a flame. Goes all the way back and starts curving up into the chamber a bit. I have no idea what is normal.

Old 07-21-12, 08:42 PM
S
OK I lied. this IS my last post for the night. From some other info I found I tried holding the start button for the entire time. If I do that it will run indefinitely and cycle properly. Based on that it seems that it's either the thermistor or some temperature control board of some sort. I'll measure the resistance on the thermistor tomorrow and see if I can figure out where this temperature control board is and how much it costs.

My Bosch dishwasher broke today too, so I'm in appliance hell at the moment!

Old 07-22-12, 06:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
You are on the right track I think. In console there should be a tech sheet that tell you how to check thermistor. Thermistor should not be open buy can't remember the spec's for it. They may be on tech sheet.

Old 07-23-12, 08:00 AM
S
The thermistor tests fine. My wife used the dryer extensively yesterday. As long as you leave it on medium heat she'll run all day long. Medium High or High and it shuts off within a few minutes and gives three beeps. Not sure what I can do next but it would seem that it has to be in the control module. If it were anything else it would happen in all heat cycles eventually.

Old 01-03-13, 08:09 AM
S
Just in case anyone else runs across the same problem. It was the thermistor. It tested fine but must have been off by just enough shut it down. I picked up another dryer of the same make and model for $40 and swapped parts until I fixed it. The parts machine was working fine but pretty rusty and nasty so I just stripped it for the major components. Now I've got lots of spares.