spilled water on GE Gas stove causing Electronic igintor to spark

Reply

  #1  
Old 08-10-12, 06:43 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2
Question spilled water on GE Gas stove causing Electronic igintor to spark

We spilled a good quantity of water onto the top of the gas stove. It has gone under the cover. When it originally happened both the electronic ignitors were sparking often at irregular intervals without the knobs being turned on. It has been almost an hour now and the right ignitor is still occasionally sparking at about 10 second intervals. All the burners work fine we have mopped up all the water. Do I need to be worried about the sparking? What is causing it? Will it stop once it is dry?

Any help ASAP would be appreciated!!
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-11-12, 07:23 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 10,440
Hello gootwo. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If the condition still exists, unplug the appliance first, then remove the knobs. Then lift the top cover or remove the front panel to access the sparker switches. Located on top of the valve stems. Use a hair dryer to dry out any moisture in and/or on the switches. Should resolve the condition.

Before reassembly, carefully plug stove back into electrical power to test. Sparking stopped okay to reassembly everything back the way it was. Random sparking continuing, repeat drying process again with appliance unplugged until condition no longer exists.

More detail instructions in sticky note:here

"Be sure the electrical power and the gas supply to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part."

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.
 
  #3  
Old 08-11-12, 03:15 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2
Seems to be all fixed. Thank you for your help.
 
  #4  
Old 06-09-13, 02:58 PM
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1
we have done the same thing, we turned electric source off to ignotor and removed knobs and dried with blow dryer. we can light them with a lighter but I am concerned about a short. the top to cook top does not lift up we go under the cooktop to turn off electric.
 
  #5  
Old 06-09-13, 08:27 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 49,091
Welcome to the forums.


Have you dried the unit out or has it dried out now ?

Most, but not all, cook tops lift up for servicing and cleaning.

After everything is dried out the risk of a short is minimized.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes