Which part to repair my oven not heating properly?

Old 08-14-12, 10:54 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which part to repair my oven not heating properly?

Hello,

We have a Whirlpool gas free standing stove and range model number SF657PEKQ that is giving us some trouble.

I have been looking through the posts to identify which parts that I think are problems with my gas oven. I believe it will be either the igniter, gas valvle/regulator, or the control panel.

The issue is that we have a Whirlpool gas oven that we are struggling with heating properly. The only time that it works properly is when the repair man was here. We were told that we should preheat the oven and then after the oven preheats, we set the temperature, choose bake, and then hit start again. This rarely works. Usually it works if we preheat the oven (doesnt always get up to the 350 in the preheat) then turn off the oven and then repreheat the oven. After that then we can set the temperature and hopefully the oven will work. Some days we are not able to get the oven to work properly at all. It just does not get up to the proper temperature.

Our igniter is a spark igniter (manufacturer part number 8190618), control panel (I believe as this one is slightly different than our current control panel 6610451) and our gas valve regulator is 9761959. Is there any way that I can confirm which part actually needs to be replaced?

Thanks,

Monte

Old 08-21-12, 07:03 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Monte and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

Oops. Sorry your question got overlooked......and you waited this long for a reply.

Without the proper diagnostic testing equipment and methods, there isn't any positive way a do it yourself person can locate the exact cause of the problem(s). Based upon what you where told by the service person, I do not agree his/her method is correct.

Most likely cause is the sparker assembly. Over time the electrical resistance builds up in them. More then the control panels power supply can create. Therefore, sporadic operation. Replacing the sparker might resolve the problem.

Suggest you inquire at a local retail appliance parts store what might be the cause. If they say the sparker, buy it and install it carefully. Be aware, such parts are often not returnable.

Give the above a try and reply back with the results. Use they reply button to update this thread with that results.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any cleaning or repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: