Gas Oven Safety Question

Old 08-19-12, 12:55 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Oven Safety Question

I have a Summit WNM110 gas oven in my apt. The pilot lights to the top stove and also the oven below went out one day. I smelled the gas when I got home and re-lit the top lights and didn't realize until a week or two later that the oven also has a pilot when i tried using it and it didnt work. The handyman came and tried to relight the light but couldn't get it to light (I think because it had been out for a while).

I read in Summit's Manual, which seems to be generic to all their gas ranges that it may have an automatic safety valve that closes once the pilot light goes out and needs sufficient heat to open again. Since I really don't use the oven and it's been difficult to get someone out to take a look at the oven, is it a safety hazaard if I just let it be for now and not have an oven pilot lit?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-12, 06:05 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello citycat and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

First, I find it difficult to believe any handyman working for an apartment complex not being familiar with your stove and oven. Highly doubt you have the only one like it in the entire complex. Possible but not likely.

Second. Pilot gas isn't of any hazard. As you found out when all the pilots where out and now with only the oven pilot being out. I suggest you not leave the pilot off but rather relight the oven pilot flame. Doing this will eliminate the odor and possibly automatically reset the safety device.

Some oven safety devices auto reset once heated. Relight the pilot flame and wait several minutes. Then set the ovens temperature to a selected temp and note what happens. Burner might turn on. If not, safety isn't an automatic type. Turn oven temp off.

If burner did not turn on, you'll need to look for a device with w reset push button. Might be located under top burner lid or elsewhere. Usually has a red button. If you find that, push button fully depressed and slowly let button cap out. Check burner by once again turning oven temperature up and note what happens. Burner will likely light up.

Not myself familiar with that brand. The above is generic info which applies to most kitchen stove cooking appliances. If possible, post a photo of the appliance and the oven pilot assembly. Use the reply button to continue this thread. Hopefully I'll be able to help you further.