Kenmore 80 series gas dryer- partial heat

Old 08-25-12, 10:19 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore 80 series gas dryer- partial heat

I have a Kenmore 80 series gas dryer. When starting the dryer with a load of clothes the heat works ok, but after a few minutes the heat cuts off and does not come on for a while. Checked the hole at the front of unit and watching as the ignitor comes on but no flame kicks on. checked the dryer temp set to normal. Works OK when test running the dryer empty or with 1 or 2 garments, but with a load of clothes, heat works part time and clothes still come out damp. Checked the filter screen and vent outdoors, good air flow. Anybody know the cause of this problem and solutions??

Old 08-26-12, 04:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 71 Posts
Almost always the coils on gas valve need to be changed when this happens

Old 08-27-12, 09:11 PM
H
Thanx, pugsl. Changed out with new ones. Dryer works, great!!

Old 09-05-12, 09:02 AM
H
I have another problem, but this is with a Whirlpool washer. Normally when in operation and after the initial wash cycle, when it goes into drain & spin before rinse, the water drains out then engages into spin and same it goes after the rinse cycle. Abnormally when water drains, the spin engages which not supposed to happen until spin cycle engages. its doing the same thing after rinse cycle, but on the last spin before completion, spin does not engage and water runs in. When I can hear that not engaging, have to open the lid and close it and then spin engages, other wise i'll have very wet clothes, any idea whats causing it and what can i do to fix it??

Old 09-05-12, 02:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In rinse and drain the water will drain out, After washer is empty the motor will stop and than restart, it will than spin. Washer has a neutral in gearcase so it will do this, Sounds like what is happening with yours and is normal. When you open lid it stops motor and than engages the gearcase so it spins.

Old 09-06-12, 07:03 AM
H
You misunderstood my question regarding the problem. I bought the Whirlpool washer back in 2005 at a home improvement store. When first used it worked fine as you mentioned in your feedback, but is working abnormally without opening the lid, and randomly on the last spin cycle before completion, have to momentarly lift and close to engage spin which is not normal.

Old 09-06-12, 03:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
not sure what it is, couple of things to check. Lid switch could be going bad. What happens to switch is body splits and sometimes will spin and other times it won't. Not to sure this is your problem. another thing is lean washer back against wall and look under it. look at cabinet walls about 6 inches up, If there is a streak of oil there you have a top seal in gearcase leaking and oil is getting into clutch. Will need a clutch, top seal and I always replace drive coupler while there.

Old 09-07-12, 02:01 PM
H
Ok I leaned the washer back and checked cabinet walls, no evidence of oil streaks, also from a youtube video from what i've learned to check for is sqirt a mist of water on the clutch to see if it steams or smokes, no evidence of that found either. did a test run w/clothes in washer, set it on rinse cycle and let run. Worked normally the first test, water drained first, then went into spin. Abnormally the second test, water drained and spinned then spinned on the last cycle before completion.

Old 09-07-12, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the gearcase is not going into neutral or staying in neutral when should be spinning , If that case gearcase can be rebuilt or replaced, Just make sure the timer is shutting motor off before it changes cycle or when should be going into neutral or spin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: