natural gas light questions

Old 01-23-01, 10:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Help!
On my natural gas outdoor lamp, I'm having problems adjusting the flames, they were up too high. Supposedly there is a switch of some sort just under the head of the lamp where you can slightly adjust the amount of gas. There is a hole and at the top it says on and to the right it says 'off' but there seems to be no switch or knob there? A friend in passing told me that there should be a screw or something on the other side and that the piece inside the post was turned so that the switch is slightly ascew to the 'on/off' hole mentioned above, but there is no such screw. It seems to be an older model gas lamp. I would like to adjust my lamp, and the line feeding the lamp changes in such large increments that it is difficult to get a desired result. Is it possible for a lamp not to have these swithces? And what are some suggestions you have?

THANKS TREMENDOUSLY

Old 01-24-01, 08:44 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Set Input

Hi:gaslight

To the best of my knowledge, every gaslight I have encounted has a set BTU input rating. There is no flame adjusting control or switch that I am aware of.

The flame size is set based on the lights physical size and mantle size. The on/off screw, when set to on, should allow the mantle to burn correctly and emit the rated amount of light.

An flame too large will distroy a mantle quickly. A flame too small will not burn correctly either and very little light emit from it. Therefore, the flame size is preset.

If your not getting the desired results, I would highly suggest you cantact your local gas utility. The reason for this is that in some parts of the country gas lights can be on the unmetered side of the gas meter.

Should that be the case with your light, let the company service person determine what is wrong and correct it. The unmeter side is subjected to much higher gas pressure then the metered side.

If your gaslight is on the metered side, the orifice may have been enlarged or the internal gas regulator may be defective. The service person from the gas utility would best know how to correct and safely fix the problem or problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: