Amana "The big oven 5.14 capacity wont heat

Old 09-13-12, 10:03 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Amana "The big oven 5.14 capacity wont heat

Hello.

I have an Amana self cleaning oven. It is "The big oven" with a 5.14 capacity.
Then burners light fine. The broiler glow igniter glows and ignigts the gas just fine. I took off the bottom panel to look the oven ignighter to see if that was bad but the ignighter glowed red just fine. Seems there is not gas going to the oven. Gas goes to all other parts fine. I removed the bottom cover and looked underneath but wasn't sure what I was looking at really. I'm guessing a fuse or a sensor is bad? But I'm not sure how to tell which is which really. I do not have the manual anymore and was having a hard time locating one online. I'll keep looking but in the mean time I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone else may know what to do.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-14-12, 11:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The way the oven ignition system works is---

The oven thermostat turns on the hot surface ignitor, which is in series with the gas valve. When the ignitor gets hot enough, which usually means white hot, the resistance in the ignitor drops, which causes more current to flow through the gas valve and causes the gas valve to open.

Very likely your ifnitor is wearing out and not getting hot enough to cause the gas valve to open.

So replacing the ignitor is the likely solution.

Old 09-16-12, 07:25 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello gec5741. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

If the glow bar igniter is glowing and the burner fails to light, most likely the glowing hot surface igniter (HSI) is too weak to provide enough of an ignition source. That's the most likely problem cause. Replacing the glow igniter will usually resolve the problem.

A hot glowing surface igniter, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Any reddish color or a dull orange color indicates the (HSI) glow igniter bar is weak.

A defective solenoid valve in the gas valve can also cause this type of problem. The solenoid is a coil of wire that creates a magnet which energized with current.

When the coil gets hot, it losses some of the electrical resistance, as correctly mentioned above by SeattlePioneer, and the valve the solenoid is holding open closes. Replacing the gas valve resolves the problem if it is the gas valve that is causing the problem.

Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

For more detailed information etc. read the recent postings within this forum. The questions already asked describe like or similarly related problem descriptions as your question.

These prior postings and all the replies offered within them contain almost all the required information needed to the many possible problems with an ovens hot surface ignition system.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Advice offered on how to remove and replace the HSI are included in the sticky note.
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites.[url=http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808]>HERE

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: