Both Burners on KitchAid Won't Ignite

Old 09-16-12, 10:37 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Both Burners on KitchAid Won't Ignite

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

We have a 4 year old Kitchen Aid Gas range; Architect Series II KGSS907. Wife went to bake cookies last night and oven took forever to heat up. Discovered that both the bake and broil ignitors weren't glowing at all - so the electric broiler coil was the only part of the oven causing any heat (enough to bake cookies by the way - crisis avoided). I would assume that the odds of both ignitors going out at the same time are about a zillion to one, so where do I go from here? BTW - the manual "gas - on" switch that is part of the oven and located by the bake burner is in the on position, so I don't think that's the issue.

Can anybody direct me from here?

CT

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-12, 06:19 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello CT and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

Some confusion here...... Kindly clarify.

2 glow igniter's? One glow igniter for the oven and one glow igniter for the broiler? And also an electric coil in the broiler? Not familiar with that setup. Kindly clarify. Use the reply button and inform me.

You're correct. If there are two separate glow igniter's (HSI'S) one for oven burner and one for the broiler, not common to have both not functioning at all and suddenly. Worse yet, without any prior warning often displayed as slow ignition before igniter glows but fails to get hot enough to ignite gas. At which time igniter would remain on but the burner would not light.

In the mean time try this. Be sure all control options on front panel set to manual. Retry oven selection and note what happens if anything. Repeat for broiler. Due these separately. Allow time for igniter to glow and also note igniter's brightness color. Reply back to both clarification requested above and test results.

Additional suggestions.
Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Read The Sticky Advice And Information Note In This Topic: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Old 09-18-12, 04:34 AM
C
Thanks for the comeback Sharp Advice guy!
Yes, their are separate igniters for both the bake and broil burners - neither of which glow at all. Their is also an electric broiler coil which does work and turns on for "preheat" function in addition to broil function.

We followed your advice and made sure that we were manually in control of our commands. Nada, noth'n, nope. There were two noticeable "clicks" when we commanded 'broil" . . .but no ignition (no "clicks" for the bake command at all).

Any ideas now?

Thanks in advance,
CT

Old 09-20-12, 07:06 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello CT

Ah. CLICKS. Not glow (Hot Surface Igniter's) (HSI'S) igniter's then? There is huge difference between spark ignition and HSI'S glow igniter's. Still not sure to which you're referring? Spark igniter's? Correct? Glow igniter's??? Clarify.

CLICKS from WHERE??? The control panel or the pilot flame assemblies??? Sparks attempting to ignite a pilot flame on the pilot assembly? Kindly be more specific or as specific as possible.

In order to help you with the most possible causes and best possible solutions help me to help you. I'm still confused here....

If the clicks are the spark igniter's trying to ignite pilot gas at the pilot assembly, there may not be any gas there or not enough gas at the pilot assembly. Most likely cause weak spark ignition, restricted gas flow or defective gas valves.

Or possibly no currently to allow pilot gas flow at the valves to light the pilot flame at the pilot assembly. (???)

Make sense to you? Am I clear enough here to help you? Advise all the above please.

Have you inquired at a local retail appliance parts store in your area what might be the cause and what might be the solution? Often doing so helps, since most local appliance service agents or agencies buy their parts from the same sources at wholesale where we buy retail.

Reminder. Retailers want your business and are in business to sell parts. In everyones best interests to offer possible causes and solutions and sell the parts to retail customers....

Old 09-22-12, 04:04 PM
C
Back Again Sharp Advice Guy

Long week at work - just now returning to our thread!

Yes there are two SPARK igniters (Sorry about confusion) When we command "broil" we hear two clicks but see no spark at the broiler igniter. When we command "bake" there are no clicks at all and of course, no spark either. Clicks are not coming from the control panel (which I assume is a very good thing).

So if both ignitors don't work - then I would assume that it is probably not weak spark ignition (in which case both igniters would have to have gone bad at the same time?), but a glass flow problem. Generally are there separate valves for the broiler and bake? If so, the odds of both of them failing simultaneously makes no sense to me. Logically then their must be a problem with gas flow before it gets to those valves (assuming there are two of them)?

BTW - we just tried the "broiler" command one more time and now we get no click there at all (ugh)

Please advise,
CT

Old 09-23-12, 07:10 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: CT

Possible problem is a defective spark igniter module and/or a grounded electrical circuit between module and sparker(s). Reasoning here is you mentioned both sparkers failing at the same time.

Also, those clicks heard, are being the sparks jumping from electrode rod to ground at the sparkers. Reminder note: Current flows from positive to negative. (Clarification Note) Electrode rod is positive. Pilot assembly is the negative or ground. Spark jumps the gap between positive and negative.

If there is no spark visible jumping the gap and/or no heard clicks, likely the module is defective. Internal short. Or there is a ground in the circuit or wiring. Which likely means the current is grounding before it reaches the electrode rod at the spark/pilot assembly.

Not sure if a local retail appliance parts dealers in your area can or will bench test a module for you. Ask. They may do so. If module is defective, a new replacement should solve the problem. Good Luck.

Post back the results so other members also reading this thread learns too. Thanks.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any cleaning or repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Old 12-26-12, 09:00 AM
T
CT - did you figure out what the problem was? I'm having the same issues. Not sure if it's the ignitors, gas module, ignitor module, etc. Thanks in advance.

RR

Last edited by tmshokie; 12-26-12 at 09:55 AM.