gas dryer will not start

Old 01-27-01, 07:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Frigidaire Gas Dryer - initial problem was that dryer would keep running when door opened but would stop when timer stopped on own or turned to off. Now will not start and light turns on when door is open.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-01, 09:01 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Door Safety Switch

Hi:RDEVANS

The problem discription you posted indicates a defective door safety switch. This switch controls operational functions of the dryer. Not the light. The light will still turn on as it is not an operational safety concern.

The dryer will not turn on if this switch is opened. <Opened is when it is popped out.> When the door is closed, it pushes in the button on the switch and closes the switches internal contacts.

Based on the problem your having, I would seggest you unplug <disconnect the electrical power> the dryer, remove the front panel then remove the switch. Purchase a new replacement from the local appliance parts dealer and install the replacement exactly as you found the existing one.

Of course, you can first be sure the switch does pop out when the door is opened. If it doesn't, still not much you can do to correct this in the long run.

You can test the switch with a continuity tester. Jump the switch with the correct type of jumper wires and lots of other tests, if you like and are able to. Many of these are a real waste of time...<haha> but both could be educational and fun to do.

Chances are the switch is damaged or internally defective and not really worth the testing time. Replacement is most likely the only correction but I wanted to mention all the choices you have before you windup replacing it.

Old 01-27-01, 10:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Gas Dryer Door Switch

The parts store only had a GE switch & a serviceman in line
tested the new one a diagramed new wiring positions. The common stayed the same & the motor & light reversed. When I connected this way, the light only came on when the switch was in (door closed)& would not start. Reversed to the original position, the light worked when door open but would not start. The serviceman tested the original switch & it tested ok as did the start switch but he thought as you that the switch is the problem.

Old 01-27-01, 11:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Gas Dryer Door Switch

I just noticed that there is a little noise from the timer when I hold the start switch on when either door switch is in place.

Old 01-27-01, 08:48 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hi:RDEVANS

Based soley on the information you posted in your first post, unless I read it incorrectly, I had no idea you had already worked on the dryer prior. That explains the crossed wires as being the problem and not the door safety switch, as I orginally assumed it was.

Just now I reread your first post and discovered the magic word I missed prior...it was intially. Meaning you already worked on it.

In regards to the timer noise...don't hold the start button in...push it to start and then let it out.

Regards,
Tom

Old 01-28-01, 07:53 AM
Visiting Guest
You did not misunderstand my first message. The dryer was working but would not stop when the door opened last week. Yesterday it quit working altogether. I went to the parts store before you replied & purchased a GE (they didnot have a Frigidaire) door switch. A repair man in line said it would work but I needed to wire it differently than the original. When I wired it the way he said (light & motor leads swithed from orig. & com was the same), the light only came on when the switch was closed (door closed). I then wired as orig switch & light worked normal, but the dryer will not start with either switch. My comment about the noise when the start switch is turned was only to let you know that something is happening when that switch is turned.
The repairman also tested my original switch & it tested ok but he felt it was the problem. Now, even though I tried a new switch that was not exactly the same, I do not believe that is the problem. What do you think?
Thanks
Ron Evans

Old 01-28-01, 10:13 AM
Admin Emeritus
OEM Parts Only

Hi:Ron

What you question concerns mostly is the need to install only OEM parts. In my opinion, the appliance store person should have realized that an appliance owner <doityourselfer> shouldn't be sold non OEM parts.

Nor should that so called "service person" in line suggest an alternative method to installing a non OEM part. What was expressed was best known as 'tricks of the trade' best left to the repair personal not the doityourself person.

In summation and in my opinion, you where given the wrong part/parts, wrong information/advice by those whom should have known better.

Based on that, I suggest you return to that store, return those parts, even against any store policy, demand a parts credit and not purchase any non OEM parts.

Have this place of business order the correct OEM parts for you. At this point, I suggest you purchase or order both switches. Install them exactly as the orginals where found.

This will uncomplicate the current situation and return the dryer to a working operation, hopefully. Once you have fully accomplished this and the dryer still does not operate, post back the findings.

Please include all detailed and specific information only. <Nothing about he said she said, install this, alter this and modify that, change this and try this, etc. matters.>
What does matter is what happens when the correct OEM parts are correctly installed.

Regards,
Tom

Old 01-29-01, 03:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Gas Dryer Door Switch

Hi Tom,
I bypassed the door switch but the dryer still would not run. Any other ideas?
Thanks
Ron Evans

Old 01-29-01, 06:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Lightbulb Start Button/Timer/Motor

Hi:Ron

Did you test the start button you mentioned prior?
What where the results?

Have you tested the timer?
What where those results?

You may have to remove the motor and have it tested.
You mentioned a noise prior. Could be that.
============================================================
No replies needed to the above.
============================================================
In summation, what you need to do is a process of testing parts and elimination of causes. It's time consuming and you need to start at square one. Write down all the steps, parts tested and test results.

You may want to have the appliance store test the timer and the motor. Come to think of it, don't go to the same place that gave you the non OEM parts. Any electric motor repair shop can test the motor and it's componets.

I mentioned everything I could possibly help you with. The next step is the call to the Frigidaire appliance repair service agency. Or based on it's age <not mentioned> you may want to replace the whole appliance.

Good Luck,
Tom

Old 01-29-01, 08:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Dryer

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your reply. This dryer is only 2 1/2 yrs old & is a Gallery model. The washer is front loading. They had a 2 yr warranty. The technician in line at Marcones tested the start switch & said it was ok. The motor I could probably check but the timer is probably too dificult without some instructions. This parts store is the only one that came up on Frigidaire's web site nad the only true parts store here in Jacksonville, FL.
Thanks
Ron Evans